Give WHS the ability to pre-fetch MS patches for clients RRS feed

• General discussion

• A WHS household has up to ten client computers, generally running recent versions of MS Windows plus other MS software (soon including MSE).  Keeping all these installations fully patched can use over a Gigabyte per month in download bandwidth.  But a significant fraction of those households will have internet service that is either slow, metered, or carries a monthly cap.

Since there will be a great deal of redundancy in those update downloads (just as there is a great deal of file redundancy in the backups of those clients), WHS could provide a useful service by caching needed downloads.  I am not thinking of a managed patch capability, but just an automated cache on the server so that the second client computer to download a particular patch can find it locally.  Thoughts?
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:35 PM

All replies

• WSUS 3.0 exists, and it can technically run on Windows Home Server (as I do it myself).
    The scenario is unsupported and you should know, how WHS works (I use a separate disk for the downloaded updates, which is not part of the storage pool).
    Supporting this in home environment is not target of WSUS (so WSUS does not include WHS specific patches) and it would be rather complicate to handle as an Add-In. Especially it is not an install and forget method, since you have to approve each wanted upgrade and reject stuff you do not need.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Thanks, Olaf, that's good to know.  I was hoping for something that just works with the client's automated update service, without having to be managed.  Maybe someday.

My internet connection is a 3G cell-phone link supporting a network of 10 PCs, so I try to do anything I can to save bandwidth.

Regards from Virginia,
    Brian
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:50 PM