How to match drive letters in the FS folder to the WHS Console RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I recently had some issues with my backups, so I ran chkdsk on all 6 of my 2tb WD Green drives. Three of the drives had bad sectors and were repaired but with significant storage loss. I am going migrate to WD Black dives. I know by drive letter (in the "FS" folder) which drives I need to replace. How can I tell which drives in the console match the drive letters I need to replace? My first thought was to unplug them one at a time, which worked for the first drive, which showed disconnected in the console. Unfortunately it was not one of the drives to be replaced. I disconnected the next drive and nothing happened, it did not show as disconnected in either the FS folder or the Console. The same thing occurred with the remaining storage drives. I ran the backup service repair with no issues. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.  
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 6:11 PM

All replies

• Few suggestions.

If you open up Event Viewer, and look for Disk errors, you will probably see an error on Drive0, or Drive1 etc.  If you see that then that tells you which drive has errors.  Drive 0 in my case is the system drive, drive 1 is the next one from that, drive 2 is the next one after that etc.

Another place to check is on the server storage tab, do any of the drives not show healthy?  In my case when looking at the server storage tab there is a number next to the model number of the drive, that model number is not exactly the same as the serial number of the drive, but it's very similar to the serial number, so if you can match that drive's serial number to the physical drive then that would also tell you.

Strange that the drive isn't showing as missing when you pull it out, I'm wondering did you unplug the drive when the system was active?  It would surely show as missing if you powered down, pulled the drive, then powered up, the health status should go to Red because it can't find the drive.

Another suggestion if you unplug the drive, then try to run chckdsk directly on that drive, that should tell you immediately if you've pulled the correct drive, because chkdsk will obviously hang if the drive isn't there...

Last suggestion, if you really can't figure it out...  you will need a USB drive enclosure for this..  If you look in Explorer at each drive, and note some of the files that exist in that drives folders.  Then power down your server, and pull the drives one at a time and connect them to the USB enclosure.  On another PC take a look at the contents of the DE folder, it will match the contents of the drives, you'll know right away that you've found the right drive.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:20 PM