Compressing files on the desktop icon titled "DISK CLEANUP" RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows XP  Home Edition  IE8  SP3. On the desktop icon "Disk Cleanup" when I click it to remove unnecessary files, temporary files etc.,  there is a column titled "Compress old files" that does not, or won't, activate itself. All other items in this Disk Cleanup icon activate themselves and remove/delete everything. but  this one item "compress old files" hangs up and does absolutely nothing. At present, as I write this, this "compress old files" column has a total of 91,802 KB files that just remains there, and does nothing as far as removing and/or deleting  itself. Once again, all the other columns in this Disk Cleanup activate themselves. For whatever it's worth, I have all the columns, including this 'compress old files', checked marked in the boxes. I have tried over and over  a hundred times to get this one column "Compress old  files" to activate itself, but no luck! I have tried checking and un-checking this one box, over and over,  but nothing works, it just sits there and does absolutely nothing! What can I do, or how do I fix it, in order to get off it's butt and remove thes files that should be compressed. any and all suggestions will be helpful.  My Username is Bottomtime  (I'm a scuba diver)    

Donn Watson SEE MY E-MAIL #1171564609 which I sent on Thurs., Feb 16,'12 I need help on a Microsoft Update which will not install, and stuck in my computer. Details in the e-mail which I sent titled: "YOUR CUSTOMER SUPPORT REQUEST # IS 1171564609" I need help on this, and I've been waiting for 3 days without any replies and/or solutions. I have Windows XP, Home Edition, IE8, SP3 my e-mail: donnw@mpinet.net

• Moved by Mike Kinsman Monday, May 21, 2012 2:06 PM off topic (From:MSDN Subscriptions Feedback)
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 6:47 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately your post is off topic here, in the MSDN Subscriptions feedback forum, because it is not feedback regarding the MSDN Subscription.

For technical questions, one great source of info is http://answers.microsoft.com, which has sections for Windows, Office, IE, and other products.

If you’re not sure where to post your question, you can try the “Where is the forum for…?” forum at: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/whatforum/

Please review the topic of the forum you’re posting in before posting your question.  Moving your post to the off topic forum.

Thanks, Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:52 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 2:05 PM

All replies

• I have Windows XP  Home Edition  IE8  SP3. On the desktop icon "Disk Cleanup" when I click it to remove unnecessary files, temporary files etc.,  there is a column titled "Compress old files" that does not, or won't, activate itself. All other items in this Disk Cleanup icon activate themselves and remove/delete everything. but  this one item "compress old files" hangs up and does absolutely nothing. At present, as I write this, this "compress old files" column has a total of 91,802 KB files that just remains there, and does nothing as far as removing and/or deleting  itself. Once again, all the other columns in this Disk Cleanup activate themselves. For whatever it's worth, I have all the columns, including this 'compress old files', checked marked in the boxes. I have tried over and over  a hundred times to get this one column "Compress old  files" to activate itself, but no luck! I have tried checking and un-checking this one box, over and over,  but nothing works, it just sits there and does absolutely nothing! What can I do, or how do I fix it, in order to get off it's butt and remove thes files that should be compressed. any and all suggestions will be helpful.  My Username is Bottomtime  (I'm a scuba diver)    

Donn Watson SEE MY E-MAIL #1171564609 which I sent on Thurs., Feb 16,'12 I need help on a Microsoft Update which will not install, and stuck in my computer. Details in the e-mail which I sent titled: "YOUR CUSTOMER SUPPORT REQUEST # IS 1171564609" I need help on this, and I've been waiting for 3 days without any replies and/or solutions. I have Windows XP, Home Edition, IE8, SP3 my e-mail: donnw@mpinet.net

Sunday, May 20, 2012 6:49 PM
  • Unfortunately your post is off topic here, in the MSDN Subscriptions feedback forum, because it is not feedback regarding the MSDN Subscription.

For technical questions, one great source of info is http://answers.microsoft.com, which has sections for Windows, Office, IE, and other products.

If you’re not sure where to post your question, you can try the “Where is the forum for…?” forum at: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/whatforum/

Please review the topic of the forum you’re posting in before posting your question.  Moving your post to the off topic forum.

Thanks, Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:52 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 2:05 PM