none
empty folders left behind... - I thought that all documentations said this would be fixed in SyncToy 2 RRS feed

• Question

• I still have this problem.  Is it me?  Is it Win 7 or WHS or just the behavior of SyncToy 2.0?  If I move files around on the left folder, run a sync, on the right side all the files are perfect but there are left over empty folders.

Thanks!
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 11:21 PM

Answers

• Hi -

If you deleted a folder or moved a folder in Syncoy 1.4 - the delete/move  would happen and an empty folder would be left behind. We fixed this behaviour so that the empty folder is not left lying around. In your scenario - you are moving files from one folder to the other and leaving an empty folder. We do not delete empty folders unless the user actually deletes it one side ( assuming you are using the "Synchronize" option).  So the behaviour you are seeing is by design.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:41 PM

All replies

• It is strange. Could you share out the log, is there any error info?
    You use win7 RTM or RC? we have a test run on win7, did not met such issue. What is your details scenario?

Thanks,
    Ping
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 8:52 AM
  • It is a clean install of Win 7 RTM and a brand new install of SyncToy 64.
    I can do an easy test by removing all files from one folder and putting them in another. I run SyncToy and then I end up with all files moved and an empty folder left behind.  No errors nothing that I can see as odd in the logs.
    I am syncing to a WHS share over my network. 

Let me know what logs/steps you want me to perform and I will get them done righ away.

Thanks
    Monday, September 14, 2009 4:56 PM
  • For view synctoy's log, File->View log, you will see the sync running's log, if there is error.

Thanks,
    Ping
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:10 AM
  • Hi -

If you deleted a folder or moved a folder in Syncoy 1.4 - the delete/move  would happen and an empty folder would be left behind. We fixed this behaviour so that the empty folder is not left lying around. In your scenario - you are moving files from one folder to the other and leaving an empty folder. We do not delete empty folders unless the user actually deletes it one side ( assuming you are using the "Synchronize" option).  So the behaviour you are seeing is by design.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:41 PM
  • This is odd.... When I create a new test case it works as expected.  I have seen it not work as expected a couple times on my larger data sets.
    I will continue to keep a look out and try to see if I can in fact repro this.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:12 AM