Product key invalid RRS feed

• Question

• I gust got a new Compaq PC with windows Vista and a full version of microsoft office. In order to use any of the progams it asks me to supply a 25 digit product key. On the side of my hard drive there is a sticker that has a 25 digit key labled "Microsoft Product key". I entered it over and over on the right screen and every time it says "product Key invalid".

I dont know what to do? Would me giving you the key help? Do you have to be connected to the enternet to enter the Key?

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 8:53 PM

Answers

• Hello adcoolman,

The Product Key (found on the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer) is for Windows only and will not work for Office.

Full Version of Office does not , normally, come standard on computers. Computer Manufacturers will often include a Trial version of Office which allows you to use it for a limited time but if you wish to continue using it, you would need to by a Full Version of Office.

If the copy of Office, that came with your computer, is supposed to be a Full Version, then the Product key would be included in the documentation that came with thecomputer. If you are unable to find the Office Product Key and you still believe that the computer should have come with a Full Version of Office, please contact the person or company that you bought the computer from or contact the Computer Manufacturer for further assistance.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager 

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:26 PM
  •  Paladin62 wrote:

Are you saying that my computer has a "Trial" version and I must purchase the Software seperately?   How can I confirm that I have a Trial or Full Version of Office?

Microsoft Office is NOT the same as Microsoft Vista. They are 2 (two) diffrent products. Just because you have Vista on your computer does not mean you get a full version of Office automaticly. It depends on what the Computer Manufacturer choses to include in the computer's they build.

So to answer your question: I do not know if Dell has put a Full version or a Trial version of Office on your computer. That would be between you (the Customer) and Dell (the Computer Manufacturer).

As to how you can confirm, if you have a Trial or Full Version of Office, that is a hard question because the only diffrents between the two is that a Full Version of Office has been activated with a valid Office Product Key and a Trial version has not.  My best suggestion is to contact Dell and asking which they included on your computer.

If Dell included a Trial version of Office, then yes, to continue using Office, you would need to buy a full version of Office.

If Dell included a Full version of Office and you are unable to find the Office Product Key, then you need to contact Dell and ask where that key can be found.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, December 27, 2007 12:15 AM

All replies

• How do i get a product key to install my microsoft office 2007.  what do i do and how do i get past that?

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:03 PM
  • Hello adcoolman,

The Product Key (found on the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer) is for Windows only and will not work for Office.

Full Version of Office does not , normally, come standard on computers. Computer Manufacturers will often include a Trial version of Office which allows you to use it for a limited time but if you wish to continue using it, you would need to by a Full Version of Office.

If the copy of Office, that came with your computer, is supposed to be a Full Version, then the Product key would be included in the documentation that came with thecomputer. If you are unable to find the Office Product Key and you still believe that the computer should have come with a Full Version of Office, please contact the person or company that you bought the computer from or contact the Computer Manufacturer for further assistance.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager 

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:26 PM
  • I too bought a laptop for Xmas.  I am also getting the invalid Product Key prompt.  The HP Pavilion should be loaded with Windows Vista  Home Premium.  The only product key I find in on the bottom of the computer.  Are you saying that my computer has a "Trial" version and I must purchase the Software seperately?   How can I confirm that I have a Trial or Full Version of Office?

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:02 PM
  •  Paladin62 wrote:

Are you saying that my computer has a "Trial" version and I must purchase the Software seperately?   How can I confirm that I have a Trial or Full Version of Office?

Microsoft Office is NOT the same as Microsoft Vista. They are 2 (two) diffrent products. Just because you have Vista on your computer does not mean you get a full version of Office automaticly. It depends on what the Computer Manufacturer choses to include in the computer's they build.

So to answer your question: I do not know if Dell has put a Full version or a Trial version of Office on your computer. That would be between you (the Customer) and Dell (the Computer Manufacturer).

As to how you can confirm, if you have a Trial or Full Version of Office, that is a hard question because the only diffrents between the two is that a Full Version of Office has been activated with a valid Office Product Key and a Trial version has not.  My best suggestion is to contact Dell and asking which they included on your computer.

If Dell included a Trial version of Office, then yes, to continue using Office, you would need to buy a full version of Office.

If Dell included a Full version of Office and you are unable to find the Office Product Key, then you need to contact Dell and ask where that key can be found.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, December 27, 2007 12:15 AM