Ready to Build RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using the evaluation copy of WHS for 6 weeks without any problems.  I really like the way it just sits there and quietly does its job.  I've had bad experiences with NAS devices in the past and this looks like a good solution for me.

My current set up is based on a K8N Asus motherboad.  It also has an AGP 7800 video card which is a bit of over kill and I would like to return this to be a game machine.

Here is what I would like to use.

Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C
    Intel Celeron 420 Conroe-L 1.6GHz LGA 775 35W Single-Core Processor
    1Gb of Corsair ValueSelect memory
    2 WB Cavair SE 320Gb hard drives
    1 120 GB Seagate hard drive (from current setup)
    1 160 GB Seagate hard drive (from current setup)
    SeaSonic 350 watt power supply

All in a 3DAurora series Gibabyte Chassis.  Very sweet with lots of space to work in.

Here is my question:  The motherboard has 2003 drives for the chipset, but the VGA and LAn ones are for windows 2k, XP and Vista.  Any problems with using this board?  I really like the price ($50 on Newegg) and the four SATA ports.
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:27 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Here is my question:  The motherboard has 2003 drives for the chipset, but the VGA and LAn ones are for windows 2k, XP and Vista.  Any problems with using this board?  I really like the price ($50 on Newegg) and the four SATA ports.

The board should work fine. WHS will install a standard VGA driver, which is all you need. Generally speaking you should have no problem using the Realtek Windows 2000/XP drivers for the ethernet controller. That's what I'm using with a Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2 motherboard.

However, unless your goal is to build the cheapest possible WHS box I would recommend a couple of inexpensive upgrades. For another $15 or so on the motherboard you can get a much more current chipset which supports DDR2 800 memory. Plus a Gigabit ethernet controller. If you do this then you can take advantage of the sweet spot in memory prices, which is a 2GB kit (1GB x 2) of DDR2 800 memory for less than $50. Two memory modules allow for dual-channel operation which doubles the memory bandwidth. Also, because they are so cheap I would recommend a dual core 1.6 or 1.8 GHz processor, since a server is the ultimate multitasker.

I built a very inexpensive WHS server using the above parts. It uses 51 watts at idle, yet provides excellent performance. The upgrades I am suggesting will not add a lot to the cost, but I think you will be more satisfied with the end result.

Just something to consider.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 8:51 PM
  • Just a quick observation.  The processor, according to Newegg, is 64-bit capable.  So this is a nice low power solution that can allow upgrading to a 64-bit OS (WHS v2.0?).

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:12 AM
  • Goods points Warren.

I've changed it to the following, which adds less than $30 to the cost.

GIGABYTE GA-73VM-S2

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

I'm going to stay with the Celron single core because from everything I've read WHS does not benefit from the dual core processors.  It also keeps the cost under $500 which is my budget including shipping and tax from Newegg.

the lower wattage is what I'm aiming for.  The current setup shows 150 watts on my kill a watt meter.  I guess that's what a 4 year old system gets you.

I'll probably order tomorrow. 

Thanks for everyones help.  I've built many computers in the past 10+, but this is my first server of any kind.  Assuming you don't count the many attempts with Linux.
    Monday, March 24, 2008 4:02 AM
  • I'm working on building a very similar PC and working to keep the cost under 500 as well. Personally I'm planning on

Gigabye GA-G31M-2SL

Due Core E2160 - I want dual core as I understand it can help some with balancing

1 GB memory in one stick. I'd go 2GB but trying to cut down on costs. I can always add a second later.

I may also add a IDE card depending on the case.

As far as case and power supply goes, I'm having a very hard time figuring out what way to go as there are so many different options. Personally I'm thinking desktop case or rackmount since I have a rack.

One case I'd look into if you haven't is the Rosewill R6A34 - These can be found for 50 with free shipping add a 430 Thermaltake PS and your only into it 90 for a lot of drive space.

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:53 AM
  • I didn't know about the balancing.  I also notice that the GIGABYTE GA-945GCM-S2C doesn't have giga ethernet so maybe I'll go with the GIGABYTE GA-P31-S3G.  It is an extra $10.  If I go with a dual core I'll be over budget.  I know need to decide which is more important, dual core, gigabyte ethernet, or ddr2 800 ram.  Oh well maybe I'll just use a dart board.

GIGABYTE GA-945GCM-S2C LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail 
    GIGABYTE GA-945GCM-S2C LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail 
    Monday, March 24, 2008 5:06 AM
  • Personally, I think you'd want all three. What you may do to cut costs, is drop one of the 320G HDD or replace both of the 320s with a 500. Not sure what the cost diff is there but that may help.

Monday, March 24, 2008 3:10 PM
  • Here is what I have, thanks to all you fine folks.  All for less than $500.   Actually about $50 more than the orginal but still under budget.  I have some flexability, but not a lot.  I can always add more drives and swapp the processor.  I assume that the 350 watt power supply will be suffecient. 

GIGABYTE GA-P31-S3G
    Intel Pentium E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 800 Dual Channel

1 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording)
    1 250GB Seagate hard drive (from current setup)
    1 160GB Seagate hard drive (from current setup)
    SeaSonic 350 watt power supply
    3DAurora series Gibabyte Chassis

Notice it is all Seagate.  I just had my last Maxtor die today.  It lasted 3 years, but none of the others lasted more than 2.   The Maxtor NAS lasted just past the warranty.

Monday, March 24, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Looks reasonable to me.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:18 AM