side-by-side configuration question RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows 7 with two separate drives.  One drive is partitioned (C) for the O.S. and (E) for data. The other drive is (F)for flight simulation.  The Main drive wqs showing failure notice so I removed it and install a new identical drive.  I did not change anything on the (F) drive.  I was backed up with O&O DiskImage however it failed me so I was forced to restore from the old drive (installed in an WD Mybook).  After some effort the restoration appeared to be successful.  When I tried to open Flight SimulatorX\fsx.exe  on the (F) drive I got the warning: "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application even log or use the command-linesxstrace.exe tool for more detail".

Although i know nothing about the Event Viewer I opened it ant believe I found the proper error. When I tried to open sxstrace.exe in the command line all i got was a fleeting glimpse of a black box.  Could some one advise me how to properly open and interpret the sxstrace.exe. 

I have to admit that I am 81 years old and was not raised with computers.  However my main handicap is that I am in new ground here.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This
    forum is to Discuss performance monitor (perfmon), resource monitor (resmon),
    and task manager, focusing on HOW-TO, Errors/Problems, and usage scenarios.
    Please first check the FAQ before posting a question. I am moving your question
    to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of
    the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thank you,

Bruce Adamczak

Bruce Adamczak Please click "Mark as Answered" if a post solves your problem Please click "Vote As Helpful" if you find the answer helpful

• Marked as answer by Loosecrew Monday, April 9, 2012 3:34 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Ask this question in the Windows Answers Forum at the following address

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This
    forum is to Discuss performance monitor (perfmon), resource monitor (resmon),
    and task manager, focusing on HOW-TO, Errors/Problems, and usage scenarios.
    Please first check the FAQ before posting a question. I am moving your question
    to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of
    the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thank you,

Bruce Adamczak

Bruce Adamczak Please click "Mark as Answered" if a post solves your problem Please click "Vote As Helpful" if you find the answer helpful

• Marked as answer by Loosecrew Monday, April 9, 2012 3:34 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Ask this question in the Windows Answers Forum at the following address

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:01 PM