none
20GB Partition RRS feed

• Question

• Hiya,

Is there anyway to allow the WHS installation routine to use the whole drive space of the first drive. I have 1x 80GB and 4x 250GB SATAII drives in my WHS (home made OEM version) and would like to use the first drive just for WHS, then 2 of the 250GB drives will be for real data and the other 2 will be for replication

Would be much neater this way.

Thanks/...

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:07 AM

Answers

• No, there is no way to change this.

Also, you should use your largest HDD as your first drive as well as this makes WHS run much smoother.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:18 AM

All replies

• No, there is no way to change this.

Also, you should use your largest HDD as your first drive as well as this makes WHS run much smoother.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:18 AM
  • That does seem a bit silly to me.

Do you need to use the D: partition on the first disk for storage then, or can you ignore it completely and use the other disks.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:48 AM
  • The D: partition is the primary data partition, and should be as large as possible because it is where files first land when they are copied to WHS. The WHS Drive Extender Technical Brief has a nice explanation of how the disks are used.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 12:11 PM
  •  

I actually currently have 5x 250GB disks, but I was thinking that I could replace one with 80GB and use just for OS.

So WHS requires 20GB for installation, which would leave 230GB free. If I save a 240GB file on WHS will this actually work as there is enough free space on the other drives, but not on the primary data partition?

That document basically says that the physical files are saved on other disks but tombstone/pointer files are saved in the primary data partition. If these tombstone/pointer files build up and eventually total 220GB but there is 50GB free on disk 1 and 60GB free on disk 2, would WHS only allow files of 10GB or less to be saved due to the lack of space on the primary data partition?

Thanks/...

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:08 PM
  • Lanky doodle, the largest single file you can save on your server is limited by the size of your system disk, specifically by the amount of free space on the D: partition. This is what you see as space available when you check your server shares. Also, Vista uses the space available to determine up front if it can transfer a file or files to a share, so if your D: partition is almost full, Vista won't even try to start the transfer.

As for tombstones building up, you would need about 57M files to fill up 220 GB. Do you have that many files? Smile But yes, you would be limited to 10 GB files transfers in your scenario.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:11 PM
  •  

So I wouldn't be able to change the non system disks to say 1TB sizes and make full use of them (i.e. copying a file bigger than the available space on the D: partition) without also chaning the system drive and re-installing from scratch.

Or have I read that wrong?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:23 AM
  • why would you have such large files though?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:32 AM
  • You never know..!

With the way Windows installation sizes have jumped recently we might find 200GB file sizes in the not-so-distant future. Also when the next version of Blu-Ray comes and a single disc can hold 500GB of video and we want it on a WHS we're stuck, without rebuilding from scratch everytime.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:38 AM
  • A bit of a hyperthetical thread scenario really.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:50 AM
  •  Lanky Doodle wrote:
    So I wouldn't be able to change the non system disks to say 1TB sizes and make full use of them (i.e. copying a file bigger than the available space on the D: partition) without also chaning the system drive and re-installing from scratch.

The system drive doesn't limit the size or number of secondary drives in the storage pool. You could have a system drive of 80 GB (not recommended) and 1 TB drives in the pool, for example.
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:40 PM
  •  Jimbo! wrote:
    why would you have such large files though?

A single dual-layer DVD can rip to a .iso of more than 8 GB. A BluRay disc can contain several times that. A small system drive is already a significant limitation.
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:41 PM