Importing CRM3 database into CRM4 installation RRS feed

• Question

• hey everyone,

I'm trying to import a CRM3 database into a CRM4 installation. Basically, our old virtual machine runs CRM3, so I have a working copy of it. However we do not want to carry out an upgrade (that server has so much junk on it it crawls).

My thoughts were build a new VM, with a fresh 4.0 installation and just migrate over the CRM3 database.

How exactly could I do this? I know they use different databases (no more meta db in 4, etc) so I'm guessing it's not as simple as just a sql database copy over!

thanks Smile
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:45 AM

Answers

•  

There have been several posts on this topic.

In summary you cannot import a CRM 3.0 database into CRM 4.0. It has to be upgraded.

If you want to build a new system, then copy the CRM 3.0 database to a new location, install CRM3.0 and then choose connect to existing database during the installation and then upgrade to CRM 4.0.

This preserves your original installation.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:01 PM

All replies

•  

There have been several posts on this topic.

In summary you cannot import a CRM 3.0 database into CRM 4.0. It has to be upgraded.

If you want to build a new system, then copy the CRM 3.0 database to a new location, install CRM3.0 and then choose connect to existing database during the installation and then upgrade to CRM 4.0.

This preserves your original installation.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:01 PM
  • i was afraid of that, was hoping things had changed since this issue was last brought up!

thanks for the response feridun Smile
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:19 PM