I want to learn Project Server RRS feed

• Question

• I want to learn Project Server 2013. Where do I start? Any good video tutorials available?
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:59 AM

Answers

• Hiya, 

basically a project manager(PM), using project server as management tool. Obviously you need the PM package in other to understand the terms used and the what the different aspects it can deliver. Secondly you need to understand the product it self. How are the general PM terms translated into Project Server terms and how can a business use them. I've used the following on other matters which helped me getting started.

Project 2013 training for IT pros and developers
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/projectserver/jj906608.aspx

Now you got basic principles and how Project server translates them. Now you need to be able to create all that magic which makes Project Server such a great product for some. Most of the magic is done using Databases, Cubes and Excel(Spreadsheets, Power(Pivot)). If these are strangers to you, you need to read up on that. Data connections, Analysis services, Reporting services should all be disciplines that you are comfortable with. 

From the above you should be able to:
    1: Understand what the PM need.
    2: Understand what the business need.
    3: Customize a Project server to fit the PM needs. (Overview of resources, Projects, times and conflicts between these)
    4: Customize a Project server to fit the business needs. (Reports and Charts on constructed data)
    5: Deliver training for PM's in how to use Project Professional.
    6: Assist resources in using Project server, if the organisation chooses so.

Hopefully that should give you some videos and some buzz words to search for an general directions :)

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hello,

For self learning I would look at the MS Project Experts books:

http://www.msprojectexperts.com/

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:06 AM
  • Hi Frank, 

It depends what you want to learn about Project server 2013 and from which perspective.

1: Installation and Configuration, Infrastructure.

2: Configuration and Customization, Development.

3: Configuration and Usage, Business Process

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:44 AM
  • I am mostly interested in number 3 and to some extent to number 2.
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 1:00 PM
  • Hiya, 

basically a project manager(PM), using project server as management tool. Obviously you need the PM package in other to understand the terms used and the what the different aspects it can deliver. Secondly you need to understand the product it self. How are the general PM terms translated into Project Server terms and how can a business use them. I've used the following on other matters which helped me getting started.

Project 2013 training for IT pros and developers
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/projectserver/jj906608.aspx

Now you got basic principles and how Project server translates them. Now you need to be able to create all that magic which makes Project Server such a great product for some. Most of the magic is done using Databases, Cubes and Excel(Spreadsheets, Power(Pivot)). If these are strangers to you, you need to read up on that. Data connections, Analysis services, Reporting services should all be disciplines that you are comfortable with. 

From the above you should be able to:
    1: Understand what the PM need.
    2: Understand what the business need.
    3: Customize a Project server to fit the PM needs. (Overview of resources, Projects, times and conflicts between these)
    4: Customize a Project server to fit the business needs. (Reports and Charts on constructed data)
    5: Deliver training for PM's in how to use Project Professional.
    6: Assist resources in using Project server, if the organisation chooses so.

Hopefully that should give you some videos and some buzz words to search for an general directions :)

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 1:22 PM