Microsoft Groove and WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a couple of machines (a laptop and desktop) at home that I would like to automatically sync. Currently both have Groove installed and if both are turned on at the same time they sync.

What I would prefer to do is just have one on at a time and get it to sync with WHS, then when I turn on the other machine it will automatically update the sync files. Grooves only purpose, on the machine I have WHS installed on, is to sync files.

Currently I'm using sync toy which is Ok but 1) its a manual operation and 2) I had problems with Sync toy before with Outlook pst files (not the same thing I know but when a program has issues you do get a bit concerned as to it's reliability).

Thanks
    Tom
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:07 PM

Answers

• I haven't tried to install Groove on Windows Home Server, but given that it's based on Windows Server 2003 I don't think there should be any problem installing it. It won't be supported, of course. :)

I would be concerned about trying to sync files that you keep in the server's shares, however. I don't know the internals of Groove, but I can easily conceive of a variety of ways it could interfere with Drive Extender, and vice versa. If you decide to try it, I would do so in a lab environment and test thoroughly before trusting important data to this configuration.

Personally, though, I would probably just use robocopy to sync to the server's shares, rather than bothering with Groove. I know that will work.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Just installed it on a Windows 7 client and had no problem.  Are you sure you downloaded the correct file version (64 bit vs 32 bit)?
    • Marked as answer by Tom_g35 Saturday, February 6, 2010 7:07 PM
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 6:26 PM

All replies

• I haven't tried to install Groove on Windows Home Server, but given that it's based on Windows Server 2003 I don't think there should be any problem installing it. It won't be supported, of course. :)

I would be concerned about trying to sync files that you keep in the server's shares, however. I don't know the internals of Groove, but I can easily conceive of a variety of ways it could interfere with Drive Extender, and vice versa. If you decide to try it, I would do so in a lab environment and test thoroughly before trusting important data to this configuration.

Personally, though, I would probably just use robocopy to sync to the server's shares, rather than bothering with Groove. I know that will work.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Thanks

I've found, on the Microsoft Technet site, a utility called Richcopy (seems it's the next step up from Robocopy).

I'm struggling to see though how it's a two way sync?

Tom
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:48 PM
  • Currently I'm using sync toy which is Ok but 1) its a manual operation and 2) I had problems with Sync toy before with Outlook pst files (not the same thing I know but when a program has issues you do get a bit concerned as to it's reliability).

What version of SyncToy are you using?  With version 2.1, there is an option to run it on start-up.  Seems you could set it up to "push" files from the desktop to WHS at start-up and "pull" files to the laptop from WHS when it starts up.  Outlook pst files are unique, you should not try to run them directly from WHS.  But, as long as you don't try to open the pst file during start-up of the desktop or laptop, it should work in theory.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:14 AM
  • Hi

Sorry I didn't get a notification of your post.

I've tried downloading version 2.1 but it fails because Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components couldn't be installed.

I using windows 7.

Is this a common problem?
    Tom
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Just installed it on a Windows 7 client and had no problem.  Are you sure you downloaded the correct file version (64 bit vs 32 bit)?
    • Marked as answer by Tom_g35 Saturday, February 6, 2010 7:07 PM
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Well...

I've been downloading the file with the ending v21_x64.exe which has not installed. I tried v21_x86.exe and it installed Ok.

Thanks

Tom
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 7:07 PM