Once again, Backup service will not start RRS feed

• Question

• Just wanted to add this to the community.

After a power loss, Home Backup Service will not start...

I started is manually...but nada. Still could not get to the Home Server console.

Talq sent.

As I type this....I'm doing a upgrade re-install to hopefully save my data.

Shame on me for not having my all important server on UPS.

and...I just got a error message while reinstalling..."Installing Windows Home Server failed: Cannot complete this function. (error code 0x800703eb)"

I started this re-install while logged in. Gonna try re-install from boot....hope that works.

-Ken (Stenosis)

Sunday, March 11, 2007 2:02 AM

Answers

• All,

Follow up again...after cleaning my partition info...WHS installed fine. Up and running again...about to be on my third activation key.

Good Day,

Ken

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:58 AM

All replies

• As a follow up to me previous post, I've tried two times to re-install WHS. Once as an upgrade, that failed, then as a "new installation" and it also failed. I started getting error about a driver or service not starting properly. So..for my third try to re-install...I have used partition magic to whack the partitions create by the previous installations. Hopefully returning the drives to their out of the box state will solve my problem. 34 minutes left...and so far so good....

-Ken

Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:40 AM
  • Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone willing to pull the plug on their server to see if it happens to them? I'm wondering if I should go out and get a UPS.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:52 AM
  • I had a power loss this morning.  The server came back up by itself.  No problem at all. 

ThS

Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:58 AM
  • All,

Follow up again...after cleaning my partition info...WHS installed fine. Up and running again...about to be on my third activation key.

Good Day,

Ken

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:58 AM
  • my 2 cents...

I have experienced a power loss on my server with no ill effects that I am aware of.

However, keeping WHS on a UPS is a darn good idea. I ordered a replacement battery for an older UPS yesterday and plan on using it on my server as soon as it is back together. Crossing my fingers until then.

Paul

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:13 AM