none
A new low in code posting quality RRS feed

• Question

• There have been plenty of complaints already about the current post editor's inability to post code without getting it hacked into an unreadable mess when a user posts using IE.  There's been a new low seen the last update though.  It now has acquired the capability of randomly swapping lines.  Check this thread.   Perhaps more to the point, check the code posted by Brian Muth in this thread.

Now, Brian is a veteran at the forums and an all-around smart guy.  MVP too.  But cannot figure out how to post using this editor.  If he can't, who can?

This needs to be addressed Real Soon.  If it is a choice at all, I'll take the smileys.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 12:59 AM

Answers

• Done.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Why don't you ask him yourself, you've got the link.  There's little point in me being the middle-man in forum support, it's not my job and I don't get paid for it like you do.  Don't be surprised about a "if I knew I would know how to avoid it" answer.

Hans Passant.

I thought that since you reported this on the users behalf you had some dialog with him. Sorry, my mistake. We'll follow up with Brian, thanks.
    Community Forums Program Managers
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the feedback. I've engaged with our test team on this to repro the problem.

I've noticed on the thread that you posted it doesn't have the code icon. (Has Code). I'm wondering if it got lost after you've edited your initial post or not.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:58 PM

All replies

• If Brian can report this and include the steps to reproduce the problem we can take a look. I've never seen the editor randomly swapping lines around, I have gotten the code formatting messed up myself when putting code in the wrong place, I agree it isn't the easiest thing to use.

So if we can get repro steps with browser version etc, we can take a look. I don't think we made any editor changes with regard to code formatting, but it is possible some other fix messed up the editor in some way.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 5:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Why don't you ask him yourself, you've got the link.  There's little point in me being the middle-man in forum support, it's not my job and I don't get paid for it like you do.  Don't be surprised about a "if I knew I would know how to avoid it" answer.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 6:16 AM
  • Temper, temper. :)

Well, *someone* should tell Brian to post here. Ehem, the *other* Brian. :)
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 11:51 AM
  • Done.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Thanks Don.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:58 PM

Hans Passant.

I thought that since you reported this on the users behalf you had some dialog with him. Sorry, my mistake. We'll follow up with Brian, thanks.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:20 PM
    Answerer
  • G'day,

I'll just add my ten cents worth, I tried to create a forum post yesterday with multiple code sections and a couple of stack listing, so it was fairly long.

I noticed the following bugs:

1/ When I either selected text I had entered and clicked "Enter Code Block" or clicked on the "Enter Code Block" on a blank line, the code was shown OK, (colour highlighting correct, formatting not so good) but was entered into the main document with all code a single (fairly random) colour (black, blue or green).

2/ When I completed my post and submitted it, all the text and code blocks were placed in a random order, almost as if each paragraph had been added in the order of my edits...

3/ The editing interface keep jumping back to almost (but not quite) the top of the document when I clicked away and then clicked back. This was really frustrating when trying to cut and paste code from VS.

4/ With IE full screen, the editing area was only about 10-14 lines high, this made it really hard to use.

5/ When I went back and re-edited the post, all the code blocks got an extra blank line between each line of code. Two re-edits = 2 blank lines.

The forums are a wonderful resource and much appreciated, but this editing interface does not do you justice.

My initial posting was http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/clr/thread/6eac5283-37d4-441e-9ccf-5d2cfc252a62 - I'm using IE7 on an XP box for this project. Turned out my issue was a simple misunderstanding on my part anyway - thanks for the response.
    Friday, August 7, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback. I've engaged with our test team on this to repro the problem.

I've noticed on the thread that you posted it doesn't have the code icon. (Has Code). I'm wondering if it got lost after you've edited your initial post or not.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:58 PM