cannot send LIveMail to categories I set up- no button or icon or list for categories/ just for indiv. contacts!

• I have several groups I need to distribute mail to. I used OE and Distribution Lists in Windows XP all the time. I can click on "contacts" and get the drop-downs for indiv. and group names, but when I click on email message (new) I only get the drop-down list for Contacts, NOT Categories. it's therefore impossible to send a note to everyone in a category- the exact purpose of categories/ dist. lists! I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and I'm using a cordless laser mouse and cordless keyboard. Help!
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:28 AM

All replies

• Ensure you have created Categories(they do not import from prior email clients like OE, Outlook, Vista's Windows Mail etc)

To see your Categories..Open WLM and click on Contacts, they will be listed in the left hand pane under Contacts and Favorites.  If not present, create categories then add a contact(s) to each category created.

Once a category(ies) with contacts is/are send an email to a Category

1. Create a new message

2. Click 'To:'

3. Scroll down to a category (Categories are noted by a two person blue/green icon)

4. Double click the category to add the item to the To field. (once added one can expand the added category to reveal the email addresses and if desired remove a contact for that specific email message's distribution)

Support for Windows Live Mail(WLM) is available in the Windows Live Solution Center(WLSC). Links for WLM, Hotmail, and Live ID support are provided below.

1. WLM Support
     Windows Live Solution Center for Windows Live Mail
     Windows Live Mail Forums
     Windows Live Mail Solutions

2. Windows Live Hotmail Support
     Windows Live Solution Center for Hotmail
     Windows Live Hotmail Forums
     Windows Live Hotmail Solutions

3. Windows Live ID Support
    Windows Live Solution Center for Windows Live ID
     Windows Live ID Portal Home Page
     Windows Live ID Forums
     Windows Live ID Solutions

For the 1, 2, and/or 3...
    If a solution is not available in the Forums or Solutions area then click 'Ask A Question'
     - requires sign on with a Windows Live ID, registration, and creation of a username
     - Live ID username is **Not** visible to the public

Good luck!

MSFT MVP Live Mail
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:22 PM
  • Thanks Winston, but that's exactly the problem. I created the categories I need when I bought the computer in September/10 (I've been using Dist. Lists on XP for years) and I can find them by clicking "Contacts"- they appear in the left column. BUT i can't send from there- when I right-click the category the "send email" option is there but is greyed out! When I create a new email and click "to" I get the drop-down list but only individual contacts are displayed. None of my categories are displayed, so I can't send "to" any of my categories. Please tell me how to get the category list displayed in the "to" window, OR how to ungrey the send email option in the right-click window for categories. Thanks!
    Peter Clugston
    Friday, December 03, 2010 7:01 AM
  • An update; all of a sudden, upon checking my contacts for a name, I discovered that my categories are now in my contact window, along with an icon for each category. Don't know how it happened-they weren't there before, but my problem is fixed!
    Peter Clugston
    Friday, December 03, 2010 4:53 PM