Error message: "Windows Live OneCare Backup could not continue because of an unknown error. Please try again." RRS feed

• Question

•  

Each time I try and backup, I receive the following error message:

Windows Live OneCare

Backup cannot continue

Windows Live OneCare Backup could not continue because of an unknown error. Please try again.

OK

This has been happening for the past couple of months of using OneCare beta. I thought the recent refresh to build 2.0.2392.4 might have helped, but unfortunately not. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Cheers,

Brenton

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:37 PM

Answers

• If there is only one computer in the subscription, the backup configuration should not show multiple. Will you please go to "Manage your OneCare circle" and remove the PC where the last contact time is very old or unknown. Now start the backup configuration, it should show only one PC, and proceed with your backup configuration.  If you still see the same issue, please create a support log after you get the error message, file a bug and attach to it. 

Please file a bug on Connect:  https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:19 PM

All replies

• What is your backup destination? CD/DVD, Hard Drive. or Network Share? When it tries to run are you logged on the PC? Does this happen when you try to execute the backup manually? At what point does it happen?

-steve

Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:39 AM
  •  

Specifically:

1. Open OneCare (so yes, I'm logged on)

2. Click "Configure backup". After UAC prompt the "your backup plan" screen appears (for soem reason this screen takes a long time to appear - about 30 seconds)

3. Click on "Change Settings"

4. Select the name of my computer (I've setup a once care circle, but there is only 1 computer in it right now). Note there are 2 instances of my computer listed, but I'm not sure why.

5. Click on "Turn on backup on this PC"

6. Click "Change this" to select which file types are backed up

7. Oncecare scans the disk (this takes a while) and when it gets to 100% pops up the error message.

8. Click ok on the erro mesasge dialog and then it says: "No files found on this machine"

9. Dismiss that dialog and you're back to a completley hung version of the "You backup plan" screen. Nothing can get rid of this screen short of logging off/on or rebooting

Thursday, November 1, 2007 2:37 AM
  • If there is only one computer in the subscription, the backup configuration should not show multiple. Will you please go to "Manage your OneCare circle" and remove the PC where the last contact time is very old or unknown. Now start the backup configuration, it should show only one PC, and proceed with your backup configuration.  If you still see the same issue, please create a support log after you get the error message, file a bug and attach to it. 

Please file a bug on Connect:  https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:19 PM
  • I am having similar problems. I have just re-installed live one care beta 2 and I have had several error messages to say One care cannot continue. Some of these- perhaps all, seem to be a result of my back-up not proceeding. trying to sort this out but prevously when I had such back-up problems one-care didnt close-just gave warning messages.

Peter

Friday, November 2, 2007 4:11 AM
  •  PeterShad wrote:

I am having similar problems. I have just re-installed live one care beta 2 and I have had several error messages to say One care cannot continue. Some of these- perhaps all, seem to be a result of my back-up not proceeding. trying to sort this out but prevously when I had such back-up problems one-care didnt close-just gave warning messages.

Peter

Peter, did you encounter errors with the reinstall, or with backup?

-steve

Saturday, November 3, 2007 2:29 AM
  • I removed the rogue entry and tried it again with the same result. I created the support file tried to submit a bug report but the web site https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168 will not show the "Submit Feedback" button. Instead it says:

"You need permission to submit feedback in this area. To apply for permission, browse through your choices on the Available Connections page."

I am signed in with my Live ID and did enroll in the OneCare beta program via the "Available Connections" page (this is how I downloaded the beta).

Is there an alternate way to submit feedback?

Cheers,

Brenton

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 7:24 PM
  • If Connect is continuing to be persnickety again, you could try deleting cookies and temporary Internet files and sign back in again before attempting to file the bug. If that fails, feel free to send me the support log with a link to this thread - sboots@mvps.org and I'll get it to the team.

Make sure that the subject line includes "OneCare" or your email may be deleted by the spam filtering.

-steve

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:07 PM
  • Brenton, are you still having this problem with the released version of OneCare?

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:17 PM
  • Steve,

I don't know about Brenton but I'm having exactly the same problem he's described except for the fact that I had no problems doing backups while running the 2.0 Beta.

I'm running XP Home SP2 with all updates on a Toshiba A75-S1253 and just uninstalled the 2.0 Beta and subscribed to and installed 2.0.2500.10 with all updates. As a matter of fact, I uninstalled the subscription version and reinstalled it again while attempting to resolve the "could not continue" problem with no change.

I have three computers in my OneCare Circle. Two (one with the backup problem and one with no problem) have their own external Hard Drives. The third will be backed up by transporting the external HD from the computer with the problem once I get it fixed.

In addition, I cannot delete the "old" OneCare backups from my external Seagate with the Toshiba. I tried to do that after the "could not continue" came up with the idea that perhaps there was a conflict between the Beta backup and the subscription backup.

What would you suggest I try now?

Thursday, December 20, 2007 8:29 AM
  •  Vegasslotguy wrote:

Steve,

I don't know about Brenton but I'm having exactly the same problem he's described except for the fact that I had no problems doing backups while running the 2.0 Beta.

I'm running XP Home SP2 with all updates on a Toshiba A75-S1253 and just uninstalled the 2.0 Beta and subscribed to and installed 2.0.2500.10 with all updates. As a matter of fact, I uninstalled the subscription version and reinstalled it again while attempting to resolve the "could not continue" problem with no change.

I have three computers in my OneCare Circle. Two (one with the backup problem and one with no problem) have their own external Hard Drives. The third will be backed up by transporting the external HD from the computer with the problem once I get it fixed.

In addition, I cannot delete the "old" OneCare backups from my external Seagate with the Toshiba. I tried to do that after the "could not continue" came up with the idea that perhaps there was a conflict between the Beta backup and the subscription backup.

What would you suggest I try now?

I have no idea why I missed this message, Vegasslotguy. Sorry for overlooking it!

I would delete the old backups and then try to backup again. It may well be a problem with reuse of the backup location. See this post for how to delete the backups - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2

If that doesn't resolve the problem, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, January 28, 2008 4:49 PM
  • I'm also getting this error message in the released version in November 2008.

Wish the error message would pop up much sooner as I have to wait and wait for it to scan my computer and then finally tell me I have no files.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 8:10 PM
  •  DuffauKid2 wrote:

I'm also getting this error message in the released version in November 2008.

Wish the error message would pop up much sooner as I have to wait and wait for it to scan my computer and then finally tell me I have no files.

Please contact support for help with this problem:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 3:15 PM