How are changes to files replicated RRS feed

• Question

• I've been looking at the 'dropbox' product also, and they make the point that when you change a little bit of a big file, only the change is replicated. Does Live Mesh work in the same way, or would the whole file be replicated again?

Thanks in advance.

Lee
    Friday, May 2, 2008 10:27 AM

Answers

• Hello Lee,
    Today, the Live Mesh Tech Preview will replicate the complete file again when the file is changed.  Given the commonality between edits of files during normal usage (and even among similar files) though, you can be sure that we're eager to implement a much more efficient solution.

Thanks!
    Richard

Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]
    Friday, May 2, 2008 1:14 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Good question, Lee. I'm looking forward to an answer, but I'm guessing that it isn't smart replication, but the entire file will be transmitted.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, May 2, 2008 1:10 PM
  • Hello Lee,
    Today, the Live Mesh Tech Preview will replicate the complete file again when the file is changed.  Given the commonality between edits of files during normal usage (and even among similar files) though, you can be sure that we're eager to implement a much more efficient solution.

Thanks!
    Richard

Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]
    Friday, May 2, 2008 1:14 PM
    Answerer
  •  Thanks  Richard.
    Friday, May 2, 2008 3:00 PM
  • In addition to delta transfers, it would be cool if you could incorporate something similar to the back-up in Windows Home Server. If I understand it correctly, not only does the back-up in WHS transfer only the changes (or delta's) of a file on back-up, but it also uses something called Single Instance Storage. This would be great, as I'm sure I have plenty of duplicate files on my system and would not be surprised if I shared more the one folder in my MESH that had duplicates. This would save on my space allotment.

Steve

Steve
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 4:09 AM
  • Just wanted to chime in with an enthusiastic vote for delta sync (syncing only the changed portion of a file). With the painfully slow upload speeds that most US ISPs provide, delta sync is an absolute MUST in order to make Live Mesh a viable solution.

Currently, if I have a Live Mesh Folder with 300 photos and I decide to add a "Vacation" tag to all of these photos, every single file has to re-upload and then re-download to all my Live Mesh devices. 

I really hope this changes in the near future.
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 1:43 PM
  • Would anyone at MS mind providing a timeframe for the delta sync feature?  I'm really looking forward to it.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:36 PM
  • I'll provide a guess for the response... They would like to tell us, but they can't and won't. They've said in other posts that it is on the list and they want to provide this based on feedback so far, but no timeframe was presented.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Hi,

I'm afraid Stephen is right. ;)  Delta sync is a very popular feature request, and we're constantly working to incorporate feedback into future releases (as we did, for example, when removing the UAC requirement with Vista SP1, or allowing people to exclude the Live Desktop from the devices a Live Mesh folder synchronizes with).  But, unfortunately, we are unable to say when other new features (such as delta sync) will be available.  Sorry!

Ben.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:58 PM