How do I get a handle to the Start button in Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• In order to get the start button handle, i have used :

Hwnd m_hWindowsTaskBar = ::FindWindow ("Shell_TrayWnd",NULL); //get handle of shell tray

HWND hWndSB = NULL;

hWndSB = ::FindWindowEx (m_hWindowsTaskBar, NULL,"START","START"); // get HWND of start button

Even though I am getting the proper handle (crossed verified the same using spyxx.exe), yet the start window is not coming up which is expected. 

Please let me know what am I missing?

Regards.

• Moved by Just Karl Monday, November 28, 2016 5:42 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Friday, November 18, 2016 8:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• the showWindow function doesnt work.

For the above issue, 

::ShowWindow(hWndSB, SW_SHOW); doesnt give the desired result i.e. Start window doesnt come up. 

Please let me know if i am missing something or i need to use some other function instead of showWindow .

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 8:21 AM
  • Hello,

The 'Academic Initiatives - Technical Queries' forum is for posts Related to technical / coding / programming related issues as related to Microsoft's Academic Initiatives.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, November 28, 2016 5:40 PM
  • Hello,

Please ask in the proper language forum in the Visual Studio Languages forums on MSDN.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, November 28, 2016 5:42 PM
  • or also try over here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 28, 2016 9:19 PM