Restore taking extra long time! RRS feed

• Question

• I had to restore my system to the original loaded applications after a problem.  I had my backup saved to a Buffalo Terraserver, and now I am attempting to restore those backed up files.  I went through the process of selecting OneCare Restore, found the drive on my network, and clicked on the backup.  For the last 3 plus hours, I've had the "spinning Vista" cursor going, but nothing seems to be happening wiht the oneCare restore.  Should I assume that the restore is happening?  I don't have any error screens showing, but the spinning Vista timer icon is still spinning!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• I would hope that the restore is taking place, but I'll leave that up to you to confirm. Is there any indication of hard drive activity on the NAS or your PC while this is underway?

If you wish to cancel the backup if it continues to take a long time with no indication of activity, I would repeat the restore process, but select a custom restore and select a specific file to restore rather than the entire backup. This way you can test that it is working and is not a rights problem that needs to be addressed.

Did you select to restore from another PC after you reinstalled OneCare?

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:25 PM
  • Hello Steve, thanks for the quick reply.  I did select the correct restore process when I started this.  I did have about 700 gigs of information on the backup, so that could be why it is slow.  I checked to see if both the drives appear to be working, and there is indication of that.  I suppose I will wait a bit more, and if it seems to be taking too long, I will go with a customer restore.  I didn't see that option when I started this.  Can you direct me to any information that takes me through the customer restore process?  Thanks.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:10 PM
  • Here's the text from Instant Help for how to restore files:

To select specific files to restore or to select a specific backup to restore from:
    1. Open OneCare.
    2. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    3. Click Restore files from a local backup.
    4. Click Custom Restore.
    5. To restore files from the most recent backup of your computer, click Restore files from the current backup on this computer.

–or–

Restore files that were backed up from another computer.

–or–

Restore files from an earlier backup.

Show me how
    6. To restore all files that are no longer on your computer, click Restore all missing files.

–or–

Restore specific types of files.

1. Click Restore files by file type.
      2. Next to the types of files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
      3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
      4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.

–or–

Select the files that you want to restore.

1. Click Search for files to restore.
      2. In the search box, type all or part of the name of the file that you want to restore, and then click Next.
      3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
      4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.
    7. Click Restore files.
    8. Click Finish.
    Note

If OneCare detects that there are no appropriate files to restore, you won't receive the Restore files option.

-steve
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:19 PM
  • Thanks, Steve, you have been a great help!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:25 PM
  • You're welcome. Can you let us know how you ultimately made out? Did the restore actually proceed?

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:30 PM
  • I left the machine and WLOC running all night (total over 16 hours) and nothing has changed.  All I had was the "spinning circle" letting me know to wait.  I stopped the process and went back through your instructions to restore.  I get as far as "Select the bacckup you want to use to restore your files," I click on the correct backup, and the "spinning circle" starts going.  I am never given the opportunity to "select the files you want to restore" because it just sits there and "spins."  Is there something else I need to do?  I just want to restore a couple of files to the system.  Is there a telephone number that I can call to get assistance?  I appreciate any help our suggestions you might offer.

Tom

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:06 PM
  • Sorry to read that it doesn't appear to be working correctly. I think support is the way to go -

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Please let us know the status and I'll leave this thread unanswered for now.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 6:29 PM