Installed Vail but forgot to change BIOS to PST RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed Vail but forgot to make changes to BIOS to change the time to PST. I installed last night and have not connected any other computer to it yet. What should I do? I am on EST.

Thanks

Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:29 PM

Answers

• The instructions say wait for 3 hours (EST - PST) before using the server or connecting other computers.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:57 PM
  • All I have ever had todo was set the correct timezone in the servers time settings.  It installs pst and I change it to -5 eastern and all is well
    Grey
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:19 PM

All replies

• The instructions say wait for 3 hours (EST - PST) before using the server or connecting other computers.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:57 PM
  • All I have ever had todo was set the correct timezone in the servers time settings.  It installs pst and I change it to -5 eastern and all is well
    Grey
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:19 PM
  • Hey Grey,

I have an HP Home Server, so needless to say "No Video hookup".  So I'm guessing; by reading your post, I should RDC in to the server and then change timezone in control panel.  Then I can upgrade to Vail?

Thanks man.

AceBandge

Defender of the Universe
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Actually, changing the time zone won’t matter.  During setup we install the Certificate Authority and create a root certificate.  This certificate gets a timestamp from the local time of the server at that micro-second, and assumes it’s PST (as Rohita said, bad on our part, fixed for next build).  So changing the time on the server isn’t going to affect the timestamp on the certificate stamp in the CA.  It’s stored in GMT, so that’s not going to change anything.  You will have to wait the 3 hours or X hours (depending on your time zone) before you can join clients with the time appropriately connected.

You can set the server time right for your future use of the server using RDC as you pointed out below.  You can take the time you’re waiting to read the release notes and play with the local server software before joining any clients (such as creating your users, enabling remote access, playing with storage and even adding pictures on your Remote Access website, that always takes me a few hours to get right (get the picture the right size that is)...

Hope this helps answer the why. 
       Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Ace Bandge" wrote in message news:d92bbc6a-089a-4598-8cab-54db48793f92...

Hey Grey,

I have an HP Home Server, so needless to say "No Video hookup".  So I'm guessing; by reading your post, I should RDC in to the server and then change timezone in control panel.  Then I can upgrade to Vail?

Thanks man.

AceBandge

Defender of the Universe
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:48 PM
  • ... Then I can upgrade to Vail?

No. Your HP Mediasmart Home Server will require special trickery to get this version of Vail to install, and there is a fair chance of "bricking" your server if you do something wrong. We (the Windows Home Server MVPs) have raised this question with Microsoft, and they told us "Don't try it." without any detail, other than that it's technically possible, but hard and dangerous. If you have a KVM breakout cable you're probably in much better shape, but I still wouldn't advise it.

If you want Vail on your Mediasmart, you should wait until after RTM. HP may (note may , not will ) decide to offer an upgrade for Mediasmart servers that will meet the minimum requirements for Vail. It will be upgraded in a manner similar to a factory reset today,

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:53 PM
  • Actually, changing the time zone won’t matter.  During setup we install the Certificate Authority and create a root certificate.  This certificate gets a timestamp from the local time of the server at that micro-second, and assumes it’s PST (as Rohita said, bad on our part, fixed for next build).  So changing the time on the server isn’t going to affect the timestamp on the certificate stamp in the CA.  It’s stored in GMT, so that’s not going to change anything.  You will have to wait the 3 hours or X hours (depending on your time zone) before you can join clients with the time appropriately connected.

You can set the server time right for your future use of the server using RDC as you pointed out below.  You can take the time you’re waiting to read the release notes and play with the local server software before joining any clients (such as creating your users, enabling remote access, playing with storage and even adding pictures on your Remote Access website, that always takes me a few hours to get right (get the picture the right size that is)...

Hope this helps answer the why. 
       Sean

I am 98% sure I did not wait 3 hours to connect a client.  Will test again next week.

Thanks,

Grey
    Friday, April 30, 2010 2:43 AM