Genuine Windows!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi can anyone help...?

my mate help fix my pc and had to reinstall windows for me, i didnt have the original cd..

so i'm getting the message my windows isn't genuine. i have downloaded the program MGADiag and this is what i have...

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8
    Windows Product Key Hash: RVvFciZMdQfJLyDpZteolhaqicQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-0000356-23113
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro
    Download Center code: Expired code.
    ID: 3cb37b56-a927-4818-812e-24653b762020
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.532.2.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

i have looked on the side of my machine and my product key is there, it is different to the one stated by the WGA diagnostic data. can i just change the product key?????

thanks kirkyd

Friday, June 9, 2006 11:28 PM

Answers

• Kirkyd,

The key changer tool will not change a Volume Licensing installation to an OEM installation, which is what I understand you are trying to do.

The manufacturer's recovery/reinstallation CDs can only be expected to repair the edition of XP that came installed from the factory.

You will have to offload your valuable data, cleanly install XP using the manufacturer-supplied recovery solution, then reload your data.

Saturday, June 10, 2006 4:07 PM

All replies

• Kirkyd,

One of the sticky posts has a key changer utility, but it does not work when you are trying to convert a Volume Licensing installation of XP into an OEM installation, which is what you'd be trying to do if you are attempting to use the Product Key (PK)on the affixed Certificate of Authenticity (COA).

In your case the only option available if you want to use the PK on the COA is to offload your data to be saved, then a clean installation using the recovery/reinstallation method provided by the computer manufacturer.

Saturday, June 10, 2006 3:50 PM
  • hi dan.

i cant recover/reinstall my computer as the manufacturer's master cd's are not working because i have a different OS. so when i try to recover/reinstall i get nothing, hence why my mate had to fix it..

i have downloaded the key update tool, i then put in my computer PK (correct and valid pk) in but i get an error, think i have to put in the existing pk then my valid pk???

thanks for the reply.

Saturday, June 10, 2006 3:57 PM
  • Kirkyd,

The key changer tool will not change a Volume Licensing installation to an OEM installation, which is what I understand you are trying to do.

The manufacturer's recovery/reinstallation CDs can only be expected to repair the edition of XP that came installed from the factory.

You will have to offload your valuable data, cleanly install XP using the manufacturer-supplied recovery solution, then reload your data.

Saturday, June 10, 2006 4:07 PM
  • *****-*****-*****-*****-2B7Q8
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 3:50 PM
  • Download the utility http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the above report

next, look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell about the COA.

1.  What edition of Windows XP ?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" ?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:57 PM

• Saturday, April 28, 2007 1:25 PM