Forum rules, regulation and censorship RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,

Where can I post a question regarding forum posting rules, ettiqute and censorship?

Joe

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:40 AM

Answers

• The closest one I can think if is the Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums forum, however it is more about technical feedback. 

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Or the Forums Issues one would work (probably the best).

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:38 AM

All replies

• The closest one I can think if is the Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums forum, however it is more about technical feedback. 

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:13 PM
  • As you suggessted, I've posted this thread on the forums at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/thread/98573b15-7732-4087-875d-492e3817479c
     /Joe
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:05 AM
  • Or the Forums Issues one would work (probably the best).

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Ed,

I'm glad that you took the time to close this thread.  If you are already here, perhaps you could take a look at the thread at 

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/thread/98573b15-7732-4087-875d-492e3817479c 

The question was: Is there is an official forum policy to censor proposed non-MS solutions?

The discussion did not get an official response from someone at Microsoft and if you can provide one I would be appreciative.

Thanks,

/Joe

Sunday, June 10, 2012 7:14 AM
  • Ed,

I'm glad that you took the time to close this thread.  If you are already here, perhaps you could take a look at the thread at 

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/thread/98573b15-7732-4087-875d-492e3817479c 

The question was: Is there is an official forum policy to censor proposed non-MS solutions?

The discussion did not get an official response from someone at Microsoft and if you can provide one I would be appreciative.

Thanks,

/Joe

I did check it out earlier (and again just now). The thread spawned a nice debate from Derosnec, who has been banned, probably for different reasons.

I'm not a mod there, so I cannot unmark the abuse flags.

So that thread points to this one: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinebenefits/thread/a4ca8e13-c424-46fb-93d7-cfd47ff80336/#b2c8836f-985e-4332-a08c-eab424dac514

If I was to summarize the situation, I would do it like this...

Someone asked what OS to use in a Microsoft forum. You suggested they use a non-Microsoft, open source solution that in no way ties at all to Microsoft products or software, and you posted that answer in a Microsoft Genuine Advantage forum, a forum that exists to discuss the importance and value of holding and validating legal copies of Microsoft software, especially Windows, Microsoft's family of OS software.

So, yes, in that specific scenario, I can see how trying to convince someone to use a different OS is the exact opposite as to why that forum exists (asking what OS to use is already out of scope in that forum). Every forum has the right to have unique rules according to the goals, purpose, and scope of the forum. For example, this forum exists to send people to other forums, not to solve problems. So we reserve the right to lock threads if we adequately answer a question by giving the best place to go ask the question. For example, it's entirely possible that the Asker/OP could unpropose and unmark every attempt to answer their question (this has come up to a limited degree a few times), telling us to actually answer a question that's entirely out of scope of the forum. It would make sense for us to then either lock the thread with the appropriate answer marked or to merely move it to the Off Topic forum. However, as far as I know, everyone has agreed to the scope and answers once we explain the purpose of the forum.

So maybe the issue is they need to build expectations and transparency better in that forum. I don't see any sticky notes, announcements, or overall descriptions that say how they will delete or lock specific threads under specific circumstances. If that is what you'd like to ask for, I can help you with that over in the Forum Issues forum. It involves a bit of work tracking down and communicating with folks, so it is best tracked there.

Now that I think about it, I'm going to go make sure this forum builds expectations around "what we offer here" in the form of our answers, since it becomes a regular topic that requires explanation. So thank you for this discussion.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 8:38 PM