virtual server question RRS feed

• Question

• I have downloaded the Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1 on my laptop, the specs are ok, but I am getting this message:

"not running on a supported operating system please see microsoft virtual pc for a list of host, virtual pc might work but configuration will not be supported."

any idea why?
    thanks
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 8:30 PM

Answers

• The message is not a problem, it is only a notification, that the OS is not directly supported.
    So if you have issues, you will get no support from Microsoft - and that's it, what the message is telling you.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 11:44 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    are you talking about Windows Home Server? If not, you are off topic in this forum.
    If yes, is Windows Home Server the host or planned as guest (as would be to assume, since you talk about an laptop)?

If the host is another OS, would you consider to share some more details with us, as we don't know your laptop?
    If it is a home edition of Windows, the warning may point to that fact - since these are not in the list of supported host operating systems (taken from the download pages):

Virtual PC 2007 runs on: Windows Vista™ Business; Windows Vista™ Enterprise; Windows Vista™ Ultimate; Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition; Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition; Windows XP Professional; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition; or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

With SP1:
    Additional Host Operating System support:
    Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Windows Vista® Business Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Windows Vista® Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3

Olaf
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Small addition to Olaf's reply, also make sure you download the correct version for your hardware / OS (32 bit or 64 bit).
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 1:32 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hello,
    are you talking about Windows Home Server? If not, you are off topic in this forum.
    If yes, is Windows Home Server the host or planned as guest (as would be to assume, since you talk about an laptop)?

If the host is another OS, would you consider to share some more details with us, as we don't know your laptop?
    If it is a home edition of Windows, the warning may point to that fact - since these are not in the list of supported host operating systems (taken from the download pages):

Virtual PC 2007 runs on: Windows Vista™ Business; Windows Vista™ Enterprise; Windows Vista™ Ultimate; Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition; Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition; Windows XP Professional; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition; or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

With SP1:
    Additional Host Operating System support:
    Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Windows Vista® Business Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Windows Vista® Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3

I have home Vista Home edition, do you think this is the problem, as I said it's Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1, I am taking an Microsoft  course and I would need such virtual OS for practice and in order not to alter my own, this is what I mean, I hope this explantion helps. with regars to the specification it's all ok, I checked them apart from what OS edition which I will have to double check again.
    thanks for your help
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:11 AM
  • The message is not a problem, it is only a notification, that the OS is not directly supported.
    So if you have issues, you will get no support from Microsoft - and that's it, what the message is telling you.
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 11:44 AM