Downloader.misleadapp RRS feed

• Question

• I run Norton and Windows One care. My Norton has detected and can not remove the virus downloader.misleadapp. My One Care is not detecting this virus at all. How can I remove this Virus?

Thanks,

Scan type:  Realtime Protection Scan
    Event:  Virus Found!
    Virus name: Downloader.MisleadApp
    File:  C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP1089\A0154426.exe
    Location:  C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP1089
    Computer:  DCD3XN81
    User:  SYSTEM
    Action taken:  Clean failed : Quarantine failed : Access denied
    Date found: Fri Sep 26 17:05:37 2008

Friday, September 26, 2008 9:57 PM

Answers

• The file path indicates that the infection is located in a System Restore backup, so you should be able to delete it by turning off System Restore, and then turning it back on: Right click on My Computer, select Properties, and then click on the System Restore tab. Check the box labeled “turn off System Restore on all drives”, and then click Apply and OK. Wait for the deletion process to complete, and then uncheck the box and click Apply and OK.

Note that you should not have two antivirus programs installed on your computer, since this could easily lead to Security Center conflicts, startup problems, territorial conflicts, and serious performance issues. You would be well advised to remove one of them. If turning off System Restore doesn’t remove the threat, then you can contact OneCare Support for help: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

GreginMich

Saturday, September 27, 2008 12:31 AM