Backups Not Taking Place RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason I have yet to identify the workstations connected to my WHS report that they have not been backed up in 9 days.  The server has been up for 12 days.  The first 3 days the backups ran as expected.  Now they don't run.  I have no reported storage errors, no "backup service is not running errors", nothing that I can see that can explain why what appears to be a properly functioning system isn't backing up.  Any ideas on what I should be looking at to figure this out.

I have one obvious idea but I'm not sure if it's viable.  All client PCs have BitDefender firewall running on them.  Is there a local program or port that needs to be allowed in the firewall?  The client connector software was flagged by BitDefender on all PCs and allowed.

Edit> I logged in to my server using remote access to confirm that the PCs were now listed as Available for remote access.  They weren't yesterday and I went around enabling remote desktop on them so I was looking to see if it works.  Instead what I found is that their statuses were Offline or Sleeping.  I think this explains why backups aren't getting done but now I'm curious as to why a system that is supposed to wake the computers to perform backups isn't.

To that point, I have Advanced Admin Console installed which also shows that all of the PCs are offline.  I sent a WOL packet to one of the PCs and it didn't wake.  I'm not surprised - I've never ever once sent a WOL packet to any machine and had it actually wake up (not through AAC, Spiceworks, VNCScan, or a WOL program I found on the web).  Not the point though I guess.  Why won't these PCs wake up?  What should I be looking for?  Can they be awaken from Hibernation, Standby, both?

Thanks for the help and ideas,

MJ

• Edited by mwlaz Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:53 PM Computers Offline
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:28 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server doesn't use Wake On LAN. Home computers, if the connector is configured to wake them for backups, will wake themselves up using hardware timers at the appropriate time.

Probably there's a firewall issue (blocked port or ports) which the Home Networking technical brief should help you with.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 12:41 AM