Feature Request for Vail - v1 to v2 Upgrades RRS feed

• General discussion

• There are alot of us who have built systems based on the propritary nature of drive extender.

Please provide an add-on for v1 that would asses the current system and determin if it will run v2, ie does the processor support 64bit, are there drivers for the hardware (current oem vendors would provide).

If it passed the check then you could run a disc that would take control of the OS and stabalize the drive extender volumes, backup all the shares and user info. Tell you that all your plug-ins have to be re-installed and then install a new boot loader. After the system re-boots install the 64bit OS and then re-mount the volumes. If there has been a change to the structure then start the transition by moving all the data arround till the whole volume has been upgraded.

I would pay for an OS upgrade in this fasion (More profit for you microsoft) rather than have to buy a new OEM box with this on it.

I have a EasyShare H340 and it has a 64bit Processor and 2gb ram so it should run this software.

Monday, April 26, 2010 10:27 PM

All replies

• Drive Extender is a completely different animal this time around. It will not be possible to migrate a V1 Drive Extender volume to V2. Some sort of server to server copy is the only option. It would be nice if Microsoft could create an add-in for V1 that would do that, of course. (hint, hint).

I agree that the Easystore H340 meets the minimum specs, but there are serious challenges getting Vail to install on headless OEM units. If the OEM chooses to support it, fine, but the tricks required to get it done otherwise can brick your server completely.

Could you submit your product suggestion on Connect , by the way? This forum isn't the right place for it, since Microsoft wants all product suggestions and bug reports through Connect.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:38 PM
  • I agree that the Easystore H340 meets the minimum specs, but there are serious challenges getting Vail to install on headless OEM units. If the OEM chooses to support it, fine, but the tricks required to get it done otherwise can brick your server completely

I beg to differ.

1) There is (!) a built in VGA card on the motherboard. You will need a cable to get the signal out and your monitor connected like this one: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130385506543 OR you buy a low profile graphics card (check google for successfully used cards with the H340).

2) You need to set one jumper in order to connect an USB-Mouse and an USB-Keyboard:

http://www.slideshare.net/diTii/aspire-easystore-h340-service-book

Look for page 18.

If someone is fine opening a computer case and set a jumper and install a cable or graphics card it's really not THAT difficult. If you can built a computer, you CAN do this. Personally, I can't see an acer upgrade DVD happening. And vail has it's advantages over WHS 1, like home groups. It's only a matter of time when the resale-version of VAIL will be safe to buy and install. And personally, I will upgrade. But my keyboard and my graphics card are already connected and working on WHS1, so I know the new install of Vail (retail) will work.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:17 AM
  • Sounds good. I don't have an Easystore, so I can't address the correctness of what you say, but I know a cable can be built that will let you connect KVM to your Mediasmart server. It makes sense that you could do it on other OEM units as well.

I'll note that it's not something I would really recommend. If you want a physical console, build a server yourself, don't add one to a machine designed by the manufacturer to have no keyboard, monitor, or mouse.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:37 AM
  • I'll note that it's not something I would really recommend. If you want a physical console, build a server yourself, don't add one to a machine designed by the manufacturer to have no keyboard, monitor, or mouse.

I am sorry, but I don't see the wisdom in these words. The only reason the OEMs don't have the built in graphics patched to the case is the requirement of Microsoft for the OEM machines. It's not like you void your warrenty or hurt the EULA if you as an end user expand your machine. From Microsofts point of view the "headless"-requirement makes sense, because it prevents rookies to do the really bad things to their machines and thus make the support more expansive. It's a reasonable "feature" and it's not really hard to circumvent, so I am willing to accept that. But I am also willing to declare myself an advanced user and do what I think is right. Like installing more RAM and installing vail when it comes out.

The OEMs HAVE the graphics built in, the  manufacturers even installed the drivers for maintanance purposes. It really doesn't hurt the machine to connect a cable and connect a monitor to it as long as it is the right cable :)

They were MEANT to be connected to a monitor for maintanance.

I am able to built my own PC / Server since 12 years.

The only thing is: Why should I do that when the H340 does everythimg I want in the first place except for the monitor port? It's a question of time. I looked for the 64bit-requirement before I bought the H340 because I wanted to be able to upgrade in the first place. I also looked for the way to access the server directly before I bought it.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:07 PM
  • Amen to that; Exactly why I bought the H340 myself, and i love it ! Will install Vail on it when it comes out on MSDN. Installed Vail in VMware on my pc to check it out, and i begin to like it :-)
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:55 PM