Cannot Delete a Windows One Care Backup Under Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 16GB Windows One Care backup on an external drive. I have upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista and One Care is long gone on my system. I cannot delete the backup (tried the instructions for XP and Vista) as it indicates only administrator can perform the task. It is a one user PC so I am the administrator, at least I though so.

How can I delte the file other than reformat the drive?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:36 PM

Answers

• The instructions for Vista would work on Windows 7. If formatting the drive is not an option and you aren't able to grant yourself full permission download the tool from this website which will add a "Take Ownership" command to your right click context menu - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ After installing, navigate to the One Care backup folder, right click the folder and select "Take Ownership". On a 16 gb folder it may take awhile to complete but when done you should be able to just delete the backups.

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:07 AM