Single forest 2 child domains 22 EE pools 1 CWA and 1 AE RRS feed

• Question

• My client's environment has 1 Forest, 2 child domains which are two different sister companies would like to manage their IT system individually , Currently LCS 2005 SP1 is running with 1 EE pool, supporting these 2 domains, 1 LCS CWA for external link, with 1 Access proxy supporting Remote acess.

As OCS migration process, Access Edge has been migrated as side-by-side and all works fine as it worked on LCS. Now, the question is

1. If single OCS EE pool is created to support these 2 domains and add 1 server at each domain  (they are in different subnet, and seperated by internal Firewall), where is the best location to keep the SQL DB for OCS Pool. (note: Domain A= 50 users, domain B= 250 users) assuming that relevant ports will be opened between these 2 networks.

2. Is it possible to install 2 OCS EE pool, for each domain to have its own FE Servers with shared SQL DB (1 instance) or need to have 2 different SQL servers at each location where the OCS FE servers are located.

3. If i am going for 2 OCS EE pool for each domain with their own FE servers, is it possible to have 1 CWA server -External for users in these 2 pools.

4. To expand the Schema and to carry out the Forest Prep, can these activities be carried out from one of the DC/GC which is part of child domain and replication is happening with the Root Domain, if yes what are the ports used for this schema expansion because the firewall is allowed only limited ports such as DNS, LDAP.

Appreciate your response to above queries,

Thanks

jaffer.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:37 PM

All replies

• Since you'll have to configure access to at lteast on of the pool and assimung the user population is about the same size on each pool, then you specific network design should be the #1 factor in where you place the SQL server.  You'll have to use separate SQl instances as you can't collocate multiple pool DBs in the same SQL instance, the database names will conflict.

You can run the AD prep steps from any computer, assuming the correct rights are given to the account used to execute it.  If you have firewalls to traverse, I'd recommend running them in the same site as a root forest DC and then let your configured replication do the rest of the work.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:24 PM
  • Thanks for the response reg SQL, yes plan is to use 2 SQL instances for each EE pool.

If i am going to use 1 EE pool for each child domain ie 2 EE pools in this case, will these 2 pools be supported by 1 CWA server which is sitting in company A' network, i know Access edge can support more than 1 Pool, what about CWA server?

Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:14 AM
  • Hey Jaffar ali,

We're you able to get this client configured this way (1 forest, multiple ocs instances)?  We have a similar situation but are running into problems when users try to join Live Meetings hosted by the other instance.  Have you run into this?
    Monday, March 23, 2009 2:30 PM