Copying Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I think I successfully installed OEM version of WHS with extra computer parts I have. Actually, I was running a XP Pro as a file server before with RAID 1.

The followings are my hardware on WHS:

ECS G31T-M motherboard

2GB (2x1gb) of Corsair RAM

Onboard Video

Onboard LAN – disabled

System HD – Seagate 500GB on SATA port 1

Other HD – Seagate 500GB IDE HD on IDE master

Other HD – 4 X 250GB Maxtor IDE HD on LSI IDE RAID card (MegaRAID 524)

AirLink 101 Gigabit NIC

My questions:

From a client computer, I can open WHS console, then open one of shared folder and copy data from the client computer to shared folder in WHS. But when I try to copy say 30GB of data at a time, I always get an error saying that “Error Copying File or Transfer”, “Cannot copy filename(one of file I am copying): The specified network name is no longer available.”

My question is whether I setup my Raid card in WHS correctly or not. I understand that WHS isn’t supporting RAID so when I set up my WHS, I went into BIOS of RAID card and setup four arrays with single HD each. Then within WHS, I updated the driver for the RAID card and HDs are recognized and added to the HD pool successfully. But I am having problems mentioned above and I am wondering if RAID card might be problem.

I am willing to change the RAID to PCI IDE card if that’s necessary. Everything in WHS console says that everything is working 100% so I don't understand what might be casuing above error. It's driving me nuts because I have to copy a few gigs at a time.

Monday, March 17, 2008 4:58 PM

Answers

• Since my post above, I've been using my WHS without the LSI Raid card (which came with 2003 driver) and four HDs attached to it.

I had no problems with copying since then so I believe LSI Raid Card doesn't play well with WHS. I doubt they will look into solving a driver issue with legacy equipments. HD prices were cheap enough so I just got two 750GB to replace them.

Thanks for the inputs.

David

Friday, April 4, 2008 6:05 PM

All replies

• David,

Although RAID isn't a supported scenario, there is no reason why WHS shouldn't work just fine with it - a lot of people either have tried, or are running, RAID systems.

From your description, it sounds likely to be a network error, or something. Have you tried using the internal NIC,  or checking the drivers for the Airlink - it really needs Server 2003 drivers to be fully compatible and as far as I can see, AirLink doesn't have 2k3 drivers, (probably looking in the wrong place!).

Alternatively, check the settings on the card, as there could well be a Quality or Tagging type setting, which  could well affect larger size files.

Colin

Monday, March 17, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Colin,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I do realize that Airlink NIC isn't supported with 2003 driver in their site, but WHS identified the Realtek8169 Gigabit chip and installed the driver automatically. I didn't have to do anything special.

I've not tried to use the onboard NIC because it's not a gigabit and it will take too long to copy over everything. No point working to figure out if I am not going to use it.

I looked into settings on NIC.

I went to Device Manager of WHS and under property, advance tab I have following settings:

802.1Q/1p VLAN Tagging: Disabled

Link Speed/Duplex Mode: Auto

Network Address: Not Present checked

Number of High Priority Tx Descriptor: 64

Number of Rx Descriptor: 128

Number of Tx Descriptor: 128

Offload Checksum: Disabled

Offload TCP_LargeSend: Disabled

Wake on LAN Capability: Disabled

I am not clear on what you mean by "Quality or Tagging" type settings. Any Suggestion?

Monday, March 17, 2008 7:50 PM
  • Update on my problems.

I don't think it's NIC issue. I tried to remove one 250gb HD on LSI megaraid card and (after very long time) I am getting 'windows - delayed write failure'. If I try to remove another 250gb HD, then I get a message saying that I'll lose some folder and data.

I think I am going to re-install everything again.

I am not going to use the LSI raid card. and see if I still get similar problem.

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:29 PM
  • I think Collin is right. you need to use a nic that supports w2k3 drivers. the errors you are getting tell me your network connection is funky and dropping out.

Also if you have file duplication on you need to be running at least two drives, less than that you have to turn file dup off and make sure you backup your files before you turn off file dup just in case.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:11 AM
  • Since my post above, I've been using my WHS without the LSI Raid card (which came with 2003 driver) and four HDs attached to it.

I had no problems with copying since then so I believe LSI Raid Card doesn't play well with WHS. I doubt they will look into solving a driver issue with legacy equipments. HD prices were cheap enough so I just got two 750GB to replace them.

Thanks for the inputs.

David

Friday, April 4, 2008 6:05 PM