none
Promise ATA133 TX2 controller install weirdness RRS feed

• Question

• So I was installing RC1 on my WHS system and did the usual F6 thing with

the drivers for the Promise ATA133 TX2 PCI controller card which has

four drives attached to it. At first it only recognized the two drives attached to

IDE channel 1 but not the other channel. The install prompted me to hit F6

for any other drivers so I figured, what the heck and did it again. Lo and

behold, it now found the other two drives on IDE channel 2 of the card.

Weird, I know. Not finding both channels of the controller card should have

happened the first time. Is it a bug or a feature?

My system config is an ASUS P4C800E with 4 IDE drives on the motherboard

controllers and 4 IDE drives on the Promise ATA133 TX2 PCI controller card.

System has 8X 250GB drives or about 2TB total.

Monday, July 2, 2007 11:26 PM

All replies

• I tried the same, loading the drivers twice but then during the Windows PE setup sequence.. it resulted in all drives missing..
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

I have experienced similar issues with my Promise Ultra133 TX2 controller during installation of WHS RC1.

I have used it in parallel with the Onboard SATA and PATA devices (just to re-use my PATA drives for storage)

All drives were detected by the controller bios but the installation of WHS RC1 always stalled. It stopped in the "Windows is loading files" phase of the setup.

When trying to install with only the drives connector to the TX2 controller, the installation stooped with the "Unable to initialize UI subsystem" error.

As for the drivers, I tried the original ones and the latest one from the Promise page.

When removing the controller, the installation went fine and flawlessly...

That will not really help you in your problem but it seems that there might be a general issue with the TX2 controller and the WHS installation.

Cheers

Guido

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 8:42 PM
  • i'm running the exact same controller...2 of them actually....just don't connect any drives to it when you are setting up the system.  the system disk should be attached to the onboard controller.  once you have the system up and running, go into the device manager and install the drivers for the add in controller card and windows will see the disks after you reboot.  then you can add any disks into the system. 
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:47 AM