More of a money scheme RRS feed

• General discussion

• My machine validated no problem.  All 8 of my personal computers validated without problems (even though the installation failed on several). All 8 came with copies of windows [DELL mostly, an eMachine, and a few other named brands].

As it turns out I am regularly throwing away copies of windows that I was forced to buy with new machines. I manage a bunch of computers. I end up upgrading a lot of the computers to linux. Each of these upgraded computers have a little sticker with a windows key glued to the side.

If I go to my local Wal-mart or CompUSA or to DELL the computers all come with Windows. It is isn't an option, it is a "standard feature."

These pre-packaged computers are often cheaper than buying the parts and assembling the computer yourself. I think the actual amount of money that Microsoft is "losing" to pirated copies (in the USA) is probably much overstated and does not reflect the amount they are forcing others who don't want the software to pay or for people that may have installed the software but wouldn't have paid for it otherwise.

There are, I will acknowledge, other countries that do not respect intellectual or copyrights. They will always find a way to pirate your stuff.

In the US your pirates are fairly easily identified as well. They are the small parts shops that sell computers that they put together from parts with a pre-installed version of Windows that they didn't pay for. Yes, it happens.  There are people that are "taken" by them (they probably got substandard hardware as well as unlicensed software). On the whole, however, these shops are a very small percentage of the market. Please go after them and not use such a wide draconian brush that is just going to piss everybody off.

This software was NOT a critical update.

This software was NOT ready for release.

The way the software was introduced was underhanded and will lead people to trust Microsoft even less.

This release was all about Microsoft wanting more money.

I pay for my software and feel like I am being treated like a criminal.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:34 PM

All replies

• Spandox,

Dell does offer some computers without a MS operating system preinstalled:  http://www.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/desktops_n?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:27 PM
  • I pay for my software and feel like I am being treated like a criminal.

Amen.

Saturday, June 17, 2006 8:24 AM
  • This software was NOT a critical update.

This software was NOT ready for release.

Can I get an Amen to that as well?

Sunday, June 18, 2006 5:04 AM
  • It is a money sceme I called microsoft and hp hp wanted 25.00 for a one time fix. they said it was an easy fix .Iran a tool that give out the pc info os numbers said it was real os but also said something about out of date. I think, I think that these oems such as hp purrchase mulituser oss and then only keep you key alive as long as your in warrenty or , here comes the money scam buy for 99.00 another year of warrenty of which they then keep the os numbers in a valid state. less sell more pcs without oss thats why you never get the os , you just get to use it untill your warrenty runs out. in some cases if you dont restore you may be ok but when you do and the pc sends its little info in snap pop crack you can validate and now its 25. bucks for two weeks of fix or 99. bucks for year..and you wondered how some peolpe could live in mansions, business is about product sales and if you make something last your next fisical quarter will lag and no more million dollar short shares for the ceo and the band of thieves. so thats my take. I see this bs every day and it is only getting worse, the name of the game is GREED.

lol consumer  pardon my spelling am typing at warp speed cause I'm   _iss_D

Sunday, June 18, 2006 5:20 AM
  • Dasone,

Email tech support for WGA problems is free.

No major OEMs that I know of sell Volume Licensing editions of XP (what you are calling multi-user) to individual computer purchasers.

Monday, June 19, 2006 12:13 AM
  • Spandox is correct. I pay for my software and feel like I am being treated like a criminal. Me too. And I'm tired of reading the posts from some of the MS employees/MVPs that either don't read the post or just paste a reply, sometimes snottily, or just dish out more of the corporate spin.

No matter what MS claims, software that is test software that is forcibly installed and/or disguised as a legitimate patch, which phones home daily, which CANNOT BE UN-INSTALLED(!!!), and is a detrement to my machine, is spyware/trojan like.  No spin will change that.  The fix proposed is to reinstall windows and turn off automatic updates feature, to prevent the notifications tool spyware install, which is a feature I paid for when I bought my boxed retail version (with the hologram that was validated upon install via telephone with MS themselves).  This is hardly an Advantage for my security. It may have been when it was voluntary originally to go to the WGA site and manually validate your OS.  Now it's forced.  This is purely microsoft using its huge Xp customer base as an unpaid testing ground for Vista's upcoming anti-piracy features. If they were not truly being underhanded they would allow you to uninstall it in add/remove programs, and also not sneak it in. MS is getting in the habit now of releasing all sorts of updates and servicepacks that CANNOT BE REMOVED when installed automatically. Who owns my software then? Is it leased? Now my computer has problems that they created and can't be removed; and the techs at MS only know how to type and paste ridiculous answers and toe the company line.  I should be compensated monetarily for my time working on this. Some of the 40% of users who like me read and declined the EULA and did not install this are still getting badgered and suckered into installing it or revalidating just to get access to Microsoft Update, some just to logon!. Too bad for those who just blindly clicked Agree by trusting Microsoft! It's not trustworthy computing! There are so many people posting to these sites with validation problems, its just unbelievable. 

I'm not interested in Vista anymore. This will be a built in "feature", where it phones home every 90 days, so at any time when someone gets their machine fixed/upgraded, or just because someone else at a repair shop may have done something improper/easier or not with a COA code, your machine can potentially go from genuine to not genuine, even though it's genuine. A computer you buy legitimately can at Microsoft's whim become illegal and lose functionality until proven otherwise. Who would buy that?  On my machine, it never even failed a validation, yet this spyware was installed even though I declined it, and cannot be removed now.  It is not the paying customer's responsibility to jump thru hoops so that Microsoft can catch some pirates. Do that at YOUR expense on YOUR time on YOUR machines.  I'm dumping MS and with it most the customers I service will also.  Absolutely unbelievable tactics and customer service!

I want to join the class-action suit too when it happens!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:54 AM