Confused about replacing 64bit Vista with 32bit Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a laptop with 64bit home premium installed, compatability issues with work related software, need to replace with 32bit.
    I own a copy of Vista home premium 32bit (upgrade disc), Can I not just use that 32bit disc to do a clean install
    over the laptop but use the product key that came with the laptop when its asked for?  Microsoft phone activation support says no but when I asked why can you order 64bit disc for free + shipping if you own 32bit but not the other way around it seemed to confuse them.  I understand if that laptop product key is specific to 64bit copy but I guess I don't understand why I can't obtain a new product key that is linked to is for a new 32bit installation.  If there isn't a work around for this I have serious problem having bought a laptop I can't use.  If anyone knows the answer to how I should do this please advise of the correct steps to take as I have had no luck through MS phone support or the laptop manufacturer.  During my most recent phone conversation Microsoft told me I had order a full version 32bit Vista Home Premium through the online store...I just can't believe thats correct.  To me that seems like im just trashing a copy of 64bit Vista.  Thanks alot for any help you can provide.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:44 PM

Answers