Benefits of Internet-facing deployment (IFD)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Can someone either explain (or point me to something that explains) the benefits of IFD? I understand it makes it so you don't have to VPN to access CRM while off-site; is that it?

(I thought IFD was required for the CRM for Outlook plug-in to work. Am I misremembering?)

To ask it differently, what do end-users get out of it?

Thanks!

Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:28 PM

Answers

• End-users don't have to VPN, and if they are using any mobile CRM client (like for iPhone or Windows Phone or a tablet), then IFD is the only way to get those to work.

IFD is not required for Outlook setup, but it does make the experience a lot better for external users. 

Finally, IFD, through ADFS, can make single sign-on a better experience for end users, if you have them logging into multiple systems that can support claims auth.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Marked as answer by M. Jaxon Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:41 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:08 PM

All replies

• I found this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg188615.aspx

Seems to imply that IF you want to use IFD to access CRM "from the outside" THEN you have to change your URL in the CRM for Outlook configuration. That sound right?

Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:44 PM
  • End-users don't have to VPN, and if they are using any mobile CRM client (like for iPhone or Windows Phone or a tablet), then IFD is the only way to get those to work.

IFD is not required for Outlook setup, but it does make the experience a lot better for external users. 

Finally, IFD, through ADFS, can make single sign-on a better experience for end users, if you have them logging into multiple systems that can support claims auth.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Marked as answer by M. Jaxon Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:41 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:08 PM