What does SYSTEM represent within Server Storage Pie Chart? RRS feed

• Question

• I have not really copied much data in the past week and the System Size of the pie chart has gone up from 76GB to 81GB. 

What exactly is this part of the pie chart representing?

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 1:42 AM

Answers

•  fladtheimpaler wrote:
    I have not really copied much data in the past week and the System Size of the pie chart has gone up from 76GB to 81GB. 

After installing Power Pack 1, WHS takes the total space on the server, then it subtracts the space used for Shared Folders, Duplication, and PC Backups.  Then it subtracts the free space available on the server.  The remainder is what shows up as System (which includes Shadow Copies and any files you have in a folder that is not part of the storage pool).

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:08 AM
  • Hi,

If you really don't think you will need them, then you need to Remote into the server first. From there, open 'My Computer' from the Start menu, which should list your drives. Right click on a drive, and select Shadow Copied from the Properties menu. This will list which drives have Shadow Copies enabled, and how much space is being allowed. Just click the 'Disable' button.

Colin

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:04 PM
  •  fladtheimpaler wrote:
    I looked and it is definately the shadow copies.   Can I disable these?   I dont think I need them really.   

If Colin's suggestion doesn't work, you will need to go into the registry and make a change.  NOTE:  Accessing the registry and making changes can adversely affect your system, not to mention doing this is unsupported, so attempt this at your own risk.  Also, If you aren't familiar with making registry changes, I would strongly recommend you not do this.

Open the registry from the server desktop and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes.  Inside Volumes you will see various characters on mulitple lines.  Each line represents a volume in the server.  You want to find the one that has a key inside it called MountPoint and the value for that key is D:\.  When you find that one, look at the key called SnapPeriod.  It should have a value of 0x02932e00 (43200000).  You need to change that value so right click on SnapPeriod and select Modify.  Under Value Data, change it to 0, then click OK.  You may need to reboot the server after making the change.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:36 AM
  • The registry edit will stop the taking of new shadow copies. To recover space currently in use, you should use the following command on your server in a command prompt:

Code Snippet

vssadmin delete shadows /all

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:08 AM

All replies

•  fladtheimpaler wrote:
    I have not really copied much data in the past week and the System Size of the pie chart has gone up from 76GB to 81GB. 

After installing Power Pack 1, WHS takes the total space on the server, then it subtracts the space used for Shared Folders, Duplication, and PC Backups.  Then it subtracts the free space available on the server.  The remainder is what shows up as System (which includes Shadow Copies and any files you have in a folder that is not part of the storage pool).

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:08 AM
  • Kariya
    It is now up to 92GB.    I don't get it.    This value has gone up 11GB.     I am not using backups, and the only data I write to the WHS is to the Shared folders.    Maybe Shadow Copies are causing this? 
    Flad
    Monday, August 18, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Based on the previous answer I would guess that it is the shadow copies which are increasing the size of your "system".

I believe these files are automatically deleted if you run low on space.

-Mike

Monday, August 18, 2008 4:34 PM
  • I looked and it is definately the shadow copies.   Can I disable these?   I dont think I need them really.   
    Monday, August 18, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Hi,

If you really don't think you will need them, then you need to Remote into the server first. From there, open 'My Computer' from the Start menu, which should list your drives. Right click on a drive, and select Shadow Copied from the Properties menu. This will list which drives have Shadow Copies enabled, and how much space is being allowed. Just click the 'Disable' button.

Colin

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:04 PM
  •  Colin Hodgson wrote:
    Hi,

Colin

I don't think disabling Shadow Copies there will stop them from running (considering Windows Server 2003 already thinks it's disabled as is).

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:32 AM
  •  fladtheimpaler wrote:
    I looked and it is definately the shadow copies.   Can I disable these?   I dont think I need them really.   

If Colin's suggestion doesn't work, you will need to go into the registry and make a change.  NOTE:  Accessing the registry and making changes can adversely affect your system, not to mention doing this is unsupported, so attempt this at your own risk.  Also, If you aren't familiar with making registry changes, I would strongly recommend you not do this.

Open the registry from the server desktop and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes.  Inside Volumes you will see various characters on mulitple lines.  Each line represents a volume in the server.  You want to find the one that has a key inside it called MountPoint and the value for that key is D:\.  When you find that one, look at the key called SnapPeriod.  It should have a value of 0x02932e00 (43200000).  You need to change that value so right click on SnapPeriod and select Modify.  Under Value Data, change it to 0, then click OK.  You may need to reboot the server after making the change.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:36 AM
  • The registry edit will stop the taking of new shadow copies. To recover space currently in use, you should use the following command on your server in a command prompt:

Code Snippet

vssadmin delete shadows /all

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:08 AM