Launchpad - Why do I need it at startup? RRS feed

• Question

• I do not use Launchpad other than hit the X to close it.  In fact, I did not see Launchpad untill I had an Alert that would not go away - I was using the Guest Account for all my PC's.  I got clever and added a User Account to WHS and now I get Launchpad at every boot.  What does it add to a simple WHS system?  What if I tell it not to run at Startup?  I know this issue has been beat to death several times but I did not see an explanation on what Launchpad is doing at boot time and why it is needed on the client system.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 7:19 PM

Answers

• No problem just telling it not to start at boot (under settings) -I think it is of limited use There is a Connect suggestion to have it start minimised - go and vote up that suggestion.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Ken429 Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:33 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 7:23 PM
  • My concern would be about the automatic backup of the client pc.  If launchpad is not running would the automatic client pc backups still occur?

Yes, they do. I don't bother with the Launchpad at all anymore. It's a waste of space, and it doesn't indicate when backups are running (and to rub salt into the wound, Microsoft have said that they's not going to fix this).

I've switched over to using a third-party utility: Home Server Status. It's what Launchpad should have been, but Microsoft couldn't be bothered to develop.

• Marked as answer by Ken429 Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 2:55 PM
  • The Launchpad provides a few things:

• An interface for commonly used client functionality.
    • A location for the client side of add-ins with client components to plug in.
    • A security interface that will allow you to use a different name on your home computer and your server.

If you need none of that, you can disable it (though doing so is obviously not "supported").

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Theo van Elsberg Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:47 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 9:18 PM

All replies

• No problem just telling it not to start at boot (under settings) -I think it is of limited use There is a Connect suggestion to have it start minimised - go and vote up that suggestion.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Ken429 Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:33 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 7:23 PM
  • In another similar thread someone stated that the launchad is the hook WHS2011 uses to install WHS2011 addin client computer components to the client computer.  Not many addins available that use this yet so probably not an issue for most.

My concern would be about the automatic backup of the client pc.  If launchpad is not running would the automatic client pc backups still occur?

Also note that closing the launchpad screen display does not close launchpad...still runs and has a tray icon.

Monday, August 8, 2011 8:16 PM
  • The Launchpad provides a few things:

• An interface for commonly used client functionality.
    • A location for the client side of add-ins with client components to plug in.
    • A security interface that will allow you to use a different name on your home computer and your server.

If you need none of that, you can disable it (though doing so is obviously not "supported").

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Theo van Elsberg Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:47 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 9:18 PM
  • My concern would be about the automatic backup of the client pc.  If launchpad is not running would the automatic client pc backups still occur?

Yes, they do. I don't bother with the Launchpad at all anymore. It's a waste of space, and it doesn't indicate when backups are running (and to rub salt into the wound, Microsoft have said that they's not going to fix this).

I've switched over to using a third-party utility: Home Server Status. It's what Launchpad should have been, but Microsoft couldn't be bothered to develop.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 2:55 PM
  • I would be grateful if you could tell me where is the setting for not starting launchpad at boot?

I take it that it can be disabled in Windows XP, although I haven't tried it yet, but

I can't see anything like that in Windows 7.

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:32 PM
  • I would be grateful if you could tell me where is the setting for not starting launchpad at boot?

You should see three small icons in the top right-hand corner of the LauncpPad window. From the left, they are "settings", "minimise", and "close". So click the first ("settings") icon, and clear the checkbox that says "Automatically run the Launchpad when I log on to Windows". Click the "OK" button to close the settings window. From now on, when you start up Windows, the Launchpad will not be automatically started.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Absolutely great. Many thanks! It works on Windows XP and Windows 7.

Windows Starter does not have these icons. Or am I missing something?

Thanks, again.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:10 PM