Duplication failure after motherboard replacement RRS feed

• Question

• After replacing a motherboard, reinstalling WHS PP3 and copying all my files back to the Server, I'm experiencing the following error when I enable Duplication in my Music folder:

Duplication is failing for folder:Music. There is not enough free space available to maintain a copy on more than one hard drive.

My system has 21GB system, 44GB PC Backups, and another 1,006 GB of Shared Folders distributed on three identical WD 1TB drives. Duplication is currently ON for all shared folders but Music, and that occupies another 750GB of space. Essentially I have 973GB of free space. But when I enable duplication for the 256GB Music folder, the system halts an hour or so later with the above error.

(Note: I am running Logitech's Squeezebox Server which would access the Music folder, but it's turned off during the duplication process.)

So far I have tried the following:

• Enabling and disabling Music folder duplication twice. The error occurs at the same place in the duplication process.
    • Waiting 24 hours between duplication to give the system time to rebalance (?) drives
    • Run chkdsk /r multiple times

I've thought about turning duplication off for one of the other folders and seeing if Music can be duplicated. But that seems silly as I really do have more than enough space. And these are the same drives I used before - Only the motherboard was changed.

Some screenshots that might be useful:

http://www.woodp.com/L39/CompMgmt_DiskMgmt.jpg
    http://www.woodp.com/L39/CompMgmt_DiskDefrag.jpg - No, I've never defragged, I just use the screen for information.
    http://www.woodp.com/L39/Console_Shared.jpg
    http://www.woodp.com/L39/Console_Storage.jpg

I find the two Computer Management screen shots interesting. The defrag screenshot seems to reflect (logically) how full each DATA drive really is, while the disk management screenshot is nutty - The third drive from the top has 106% free space. Bug?

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:18 PM

Answers

• Kariya21,

Thanks for your response. In answer to your question, nothing except a minute of time transpired between the DiskDefrag and DiskMgmt shots – I had commented earlier that they hadn’t matched when I saw that 106% value. I therefore can’t assume they agree at any other time either.

At the time the second set of screen shots were taken, the two pool drives really were that full, the WHS console was yellow and giving me that “Duplication error”, and the WHS Console was cycling between “Not Responding” and normal operation at roughly 20 second intervals. And yes to your second question, I use SyncToy 2.1 to copy files to the pool using UNC paths.

The interesting thing about the WHS Console behavior was that even though it was cycling to “Not Responding” at 20 second intervals, the task manager was showing virtually no system load, so I decided to let it churn for a couple hours.

After three hours, one drive slowly worked its way to 20GB free, and after five hours, two of the drives had 20GB free and the yellow network warning was back to green. Take a look at the current screen shots.

http://www.woodp.com/L39/CompMgmt_DiskMgmt3.jpg
    http://www.woodp.com/L39/CompMgmt_DiskDefrag3.jpg

Unless you have a better explanation, I’m going to assume using WHS first collects the data on one drive before distributing the “duplicate” data on other drives. And I was just filling up that first drive faster than it could duplicate it?

In any case, I’m back up again. Thank you for your assistance!

(But honestly, even today the drive free space reported by DiskMgmt and DiskDefrag are different. That has to be a bug in one of them …)

• Marked as answer by woodp Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:04 PM

All replies

• No bugs, no.

From the looks of the Disk Management screenshot, Windows Home Server has most likely stored some files in the share you're trying to duplicate on the primary DATA partition. That partition is the only one with sufficient room to duplicate that share, so at some point, Windows Home Server fails because there's already a copy of that file on that drive. Drive Extender doesn't, unfortunately, use a complex algorithm to move files around in this situation.

Turning duplication off for another folder, then back on after duplicating your Music folder, will probably create the same situation all over again. Your best bet is to add another drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:12 PM
  • Ken,

The "Bugs" reference had to do with the Disk Management screen showing one of the pool drives with 106% free? How could there be free space in excess of 100%?

But back to WHS, I'm not following your reasoning - I clearly have available disk space, these three drives used to work together, and if the problem is WHS maintaining all my original files on one drive, how is a fourth drive going to help? Seems counter intuitive?

But just for grins, I started to duplicate the Music folder again - It's about 60% through duplication and it's failing with the same "Duplication is failing for folder:Music" error.

Once again I've included the Computer Management screen shots - As you can see WHS has completely exhausted disk space in two pool drives but refuses to use the third drive.

http://www.woodp.com/L39/CompMgmt_DiskMgmt2.jpg
    http://www.woodp.com/L39/CompMgmt_DiskDefrag2.jpg

The three drives worked before - What am I doing different now?

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 11:48 PM
  • Ken,

The "Bugs" reference had to do with the Disk Management screen showing one of the pool drives with 106% free? How could there be free space in excess of 100%? 

It's normal for WHS.  (It's due to the way WHS handles the storage pool.)

But back to WHS, I'm not following your reasoning - I clearly have available disk space, these three drives used to work together, and if the problem is WHS maintaining all my original files on one drive, how is a fourth drive going to help? Seems counter intuitive?

But just for grins, I started to duplicate the Music folder again - It's about 60% through duplication and it's failing with the same "Duplication is failing for folder:Music" error.

Once again I've included the Computer Management screen shots - As you can see WHS has completely exhausted disk space in two pool drives but refuses to use the third drive.

http://www.woodp.com/L39/CompMgmt_DiskMgmt2.jpg
    http://www.woodp.com/L39/CompMgmt_DiskDefrag2.jpg

The three drives worked before - What am I doing different now?

Have you installed any add-ins or applications?  I noticed that your 2 screen shots don't match (and might be what's causing your problem).  One shows 2 drives with no space, the other shows only 1 drive with no space and 12 GB on the other one (not to mention your drives should never get down that low on free space as WHS keeps approximately 20 GB free on each drive for file expansion).  Also, how did you originally copy the data to the storage pool?  Did you use the UNC path (\\server\[sharename]) or something else?
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 11:57 PM
  • Kariya21,

Thanks for your response. In answer to your question, nothing except a minute of time transpired between the DiskDefrag and DiskMgmt shots – I had commented earlier that they hadn’t matched when I saw that 106% value. I therefore can’t assume they agree at any other time either.

At the time the second set of screen shots were taken, the two pool drives really were that full, the WHS console was yellow and giving me that “Duplication error”, and the WHS Console was cycling between “Not Responding” and normal operation at roughly 20 second intervals. And yes to your second question, I use SyncToy 2.1 to copy files to the pool using UNC paths.

The interesting thing about the WHS Console behavior was that even though it was cycling to “Not Responding” at 20 second intervals, the task manager was showing virtually no system load, so I decided to let it churn for a couple hours.

After three hours, one drive slowly worked its way to 20GB free, and after five hours, two of the drives had 20GB free and the yellow network warning was back to green. Take a look at the current screen shots.

Unless you have a better explanation, I’m going to assume using WHS first collects the data on one drive before distributing the “duplicate” data on other drives. And I was just filling up that first drive faster than it could duplicate it?

(But honestly, even today the drive free space reported by DiskMgmt and DiskDefrag are different. That has to be a bug in one of them …)

• Marked as answer by woodp Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Kariya21,

My guess is that SyncToy "went around" the file system in WHS, thereby forcing the data on the secondary drives.  You should try doing a regular copy-and-paste through Windows Explorer and see if it does the same thing.

As for the "bug" in Disk Management, there isn't one.  It's working as designed (due to how Vista and 7 determine free space for a copy function).

Thursday, April 8, 2010 1:40 AM
  • My guess is that SyncToy "went around" the file system in WHS, thereby forcing the data on the secondary drives.  You should try doing a regular copy-and-paste through Windows Explorer and see if it does the same thing.

Argh, this problem is rearing it's ugly head again. I'm getting the "duplication is failing" error again. I still have three 1TB drives, one of which is showing 600GB free while the other two only show a couple MB free. So deleted all the offending files, and am now copying them manually instead of using SyncToy. Honestly, preliminary results don't look any different than the SyncToy copy.

I am confused by something you and Ken Warren said ...

• Ken:  Drive Extender doesn't, unfortunately, use a complex algorithm to move files around in this situation.
    • Kariya21: WHS keeps approximately 20 GB free on each drive for file expansion.

These two statements seem to conflict with each other, and my experience mirrors Ken's statement. But ifWHS is supposed to keep 20M and doesn't, is there anything I should be checking or doing. Is there a setting someplace that was messed up?

Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:51 PM
  • Argh, this problem is rearing it's ugly head again. I'm getting the "duplication is failing" error again. I still have three 1TB drives, one of which is showing 600GB free while the other two only show a couple MB free. So deleted all the offending files, and am now copying them manually instead of using SyncToy. Honestly, preliminary results don't look any different than the SyncToy copy.

I am confused by something you and Ken Warren said ...

• Ken:  Drive Extender doesn't, unfortunately, use a complex algorithm to move files around in this situation.
    • Kariya21: WHS keeps approximately 20 GB free on each drive for file expansion.

These two statements seem to conflict with each other, and my experience mirrors Ken's statement. But ifWHS is supposed to keep 20M and doesn't, is there anything I should be checking or doing. Is there a setting someplace that was messed up?

Actually, Ken and I are both correct.  :)

Ken's point is basically once a file is on a specific hard drive, it's on that drive pretty much forever (short of a user deleting the file).  WHS does not move files from one hard drive to another in the background (i.e. to balance the data evenly across all of the drives).  And he believed that the problem was that there was no where else to make the alternate shadow other than the drive that is already hosting the primary shadow (which it won't do because then both shadows would be on the same drive, which defeats the purpose of duplication).

I'm saying that under normal circumstances, each of your hard drives will usually have at least 20 GB free on it.

As to your current problem, you could try posting some updated screen shots.  However, if nothing obvious shows up in those screen shots, your best bet would probably be to do a Server Reinstallation.

Friday, June 4, 2010 4:23 AM