Control over system disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I just recently built a test setup with old Hardware an was reather pleased. Now in want to create new hardware from scratch and have in mind:

A mobo with dual core amd (3000+)
    512mb memory
    an IDE disk with 80 Gb
    two sata disks 750 gGb each,

I will serve 4 clients with it. Now 3 questions:

1) In the above setup, is there any control so the WHS uses the 80 Gb disk just for the system and the 2 sata's just for data and duplication? In case of systemdisk failure I just want to install a new disk and restore from a Acronis backup without touching anything which belongs to D: ! So I can easily restore accounts etc.

2) Is there any list what the numerous add-ins for WHS will do for me ?

3) I have read several entries about backup/restore. In my configuration is it not the best if abnything fails on the WHS - just replace it /reinstall if necessary and jut do manual backups from the clients and finito ?? So what 's the fuzz about backup ??

Thank you

Erik

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:04 PM

Answers

• Erik,

Welcome.  Personally, your mobo/CPU is fine, but you will need to quadruple your memory; this is a server, so it will benfit from 2GB.

Not sure why you want to go with an 80GB drive, does anyone still make that size? When WHS is installed, it will install itself on the first bootable drive it sees, it will then format that drive into two partions - C: and D: and the user has no control over where these are. Any other drives in the system at the time will also be formatted and will be added as data drives which don't have drive letters (E: F: etc.), but are mounted under Mount Points on the C: partition, again with no user intervention. Just note that the recommened way of recovering from a system drive failure is to boot from the WHS DVD and do a 're-install', this only installs the operating system and keeps user data. Also, using something like Acronis can well not work in some cases, WHS keeps an internal record of the actual physical drives and this is updated as drives are added/removed using WHS tools, therefore using Acronis can well 'confuse' this internal record.

There are a number of sites around which have lists of Add-Ins, this is just one of them.Also, it could be worthwhile having a read of the WHS documentation, that's available here, or here.

Not too sure what you are meaning about backup/restore - is this the server or a client? Under normal circumstances, WHS automatically backs up all Clients each night, so any particular Client can then be restored if it fails. If you are referring to the server, then there is now an option to backup your Shared Folders to an external drive, this allows you to have a further copy of these files which for example, can be stored off-site. (There is also an Add-In which allows you to do the same for Client backups).

HTH,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by Rosdol Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:27 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:59 PM

All replies

• Erik,

Welcome.  Personally, your mobo/CPU is fine, but you will need to quadruple your memory; this is a server, so it will benfit from 2GB.

Not sure why you want to go with an 80GB drive, does anyone still make that size? When WHS is installed, it will install itself on the first bootable drive it sees, it will then format that drive into two partions - C: and D: and the user has no control over where these are. Any other drives in the system at the time will also be formatted and will be added as data drives which don't have drive letters (E: F: etc.), but are mounted under Mount Points on the C: partition, again with no user intervention. Just note that the recommened way of recovering from a system drive failure is to boot from the WHS DVD and do a 're-install', this only installs the operating system and keeps user data. Also, using something like Acronis can well not work in some cases, WHS keeps an internal record of the actual physical drives and this is updated as drives are added/removed using WHS tools, therefore using Acronis can well 'confuse' this internal record.

There are a number of sites around which have lists of Add-Ins, this is just one of them.Also, it could be worthwhile having a read of the WHS documentation, that's available here, or here.

Not too sure what you are meaning about backup/restore - is this the server or a client? Under normal circumstances, WHS automatically backs up all Clients each night, so any particular Client can then be restored if it fails. If you are referring to the server, then there is now an option to backup your Shared Folders to an external drive, this allows you to have a further copy of these files which for example, can be stored off-site. (There is also an Add-In which allows you to do the same for Client backups).

HTH,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by Rosdol Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:27 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:59 PM
  • Colin, thank you for your response and welcome.

I just wanted a good use for an old ide 80gb drive. Based on what you said it makes only sense to go with those two SATA. disks.

WhatI did not understand is your comment on the main memory. Actually the server runs quite well and backups seem to be fast - i assume it can't be faster than the 10Mbit network pipe I have. Or did you refer to other things weher you believe the server need 2 Gb of mem.??

Thanks

Erik

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Memory upgrades to 2G RAM are common, it helps with overall WHS performance but it wont make your internet faster.
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:00 PM