Client PC System Disk Restore Problems. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client PC with a failed WD 500 GB SATA C-Drive. I am tying to do a system disk restore using the dual boot restore cd that I found on the WHS download site to new drive that is the same model drive. The Restore CD will allow me to select the volume to be restored but displays a red X pointing to my new drive. Both Sides of the equation indicates the old and new drive are the same size. They are both formatted the same. Can you only restore to a larger drive? Why not the same size drive?
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:28 PM

All replies

• wanlord1 said:

I have a client PC with a failed WD 500 GB SATA C-Drive. I am tying to do a system disk restore using the dual boot restore cd that I found on the WHS download site to new drive that is the same model drive. The Restore CD will allow me to select the volume to be restored but displays a red X pointing to my new drive. Both Sides of the equation indicates the old and new drive are the same size. They are both formatted the same. Can you only restore to a larger drive? Why not the same size drive?

The new drive must be at least the same size as the original.  Is it possible the old drive is slightly larger than the new one (perhaps only by a few bytes)?
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:01 PM
  • On the restore screen both the Back-up and the drive size is 465.76 GB. I am currently restoring the drive on a larger drive. The frustrating part is the D & E drives are 500GB Samsung Drives 500GB Drives and WHS Restore would allow me to restore to an another Samsung or WDC 500GB drive. But I cannot restore the system drive to either another WDC or Samsung drive. I have had to restore several other clients in the past without any problems including same size to same size drives.

I have really loved WHS ever since I got my first Beta build. This is the first time I have ever had a problem. All in all I consider this alone is a small miracle!

Sunday, November 16, 2008 6:21 PM