INSTALLING SQL EXPRESS ON WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  I have tried to install MS'  SQL Express  2005 (both stand alone and version bundled with tools) but it fails.  The standalone version displays a message that it cannot locate the install file and tells me to try using another copy.  the other versions has a problem geting certificates.  I am installing in the defualt location which is the C: drive.

SQL Express is the same program as SQL so it should install on Windows 2003 which is the basis for WHS.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

KW
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 2:47 AM

Answers

• SOLUTION:   The SQL install with the management tools was failing becuase it required some certificate it could not obtain. (Have not figured that out).  But it was installing the SQL server, at least partially.  I just had to do an uninstall and install just the server itself without the managment tools.
    • Marked as answer by KevinGW Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:31 AM
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:31 AM

All replies

• Kevin, are you sure you downloaded the right packages? I've installed SQL Express on Windows Home Server with no problem. Have you tried downloading again? Is your server pretty much stock, or have you added a lot of software to it?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:08 AM
  • I've also experienced no problems installing SQL Express 2005. Can you please check if the installer is "blocked" (Right click, properties, somewhere at the bottom of the properties window) If it''s blocked unblock and try again. 
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:09 AM
  • I will check package but if i didn't I would expect an error message.  Jungledisk is the only add on.  I am installing by the remote desktop connection - should I try the console?

Kevin
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:09 AM
  • KevinGW said:

I will check package but if i didn't I would expect an error message.  Jungledisk is the only add on.  I am installing by the remote desktop connection - should I try the console?

Kevin

I think remote desktop should be fine, however it's worth giving console a try. You could also do Start, Run, Type mstsc.exe /console and Hit Enter to connect to console. For most apps requiring console during install this will also do.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:25 AM
  • brubber said:

I think remote desktop should be fine, however it's worth giving console a try. You could also do Start, Run, Type mstsc.exe /console and Hit Enter to connect to console. For most apps requiring console during install this will also do.

I installed the MyMovies add-in on my server (which automatically installs SQL Server Express 2005).  Worked fine for me as well.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 2:23 AM
  • SOLUTION:   The SQL install with the management tools was failing becuase it required some certificate it could not obtain. (Have not figured that out).  But it was installing the SQL server, at least partially.  I just had to do an uninstall and install just the server itself without the managment tools.
    • Marked as answer by KevinGW Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:31 AM
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:31 AM