none
Microsoft Exam Questions On Functionality That Doesn't Work! RRS feed

• Question

• What does a student do if they are tested, in a Microsoft exam, on functionality that's known not to work?!

It seems absurd that Microsoft is doing this.

Friday, October 25, 2013 10:47 AM

Answers

• Assume it does work when you take the exam. Base these assumptions on what the Microsoft documentation suggests should work. Turn a blind eye toward "real world" experiences in these types of cases.

Many exam questions will not be based on real-world situations nor will you be given the complete problem context in the question to give the best solution. Like a lemming, you have to walk with the group and answer as suggested in the documentation.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to mark the exam questions that you disagree with. Then take advantage of the comment period at the end of the exam and state your cases why the question(s) are poorly written or the technology does not work.

I always comment on the typos I find in exams. I found typos in the last two exams I have taken (70-480 and 70-486) and commented on them. I also comment when parts of the exams questions do not work. For example, in 70-480, one of the questions offers two radio buttons to choose yes or no but it allowed me to select both and then I couldn't deselect wither of them!

The Microsoft certification team says they read them but I've never seen the problems fixed when retaking an exam several months later.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:57 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• That's Microsoft for ya....
    Friday, October 25, 2013 2:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Assume it does work when you take the exam. Base these assumptions on what the Microsoft documentation suggests should work. Turn a blind eye toward "real world" experiences in these types of cases.

Many exam questions will not be based on real-world situations nor will you be given the complete problem context in the question to give the best solution. Like a lemming, you have to walk with the group and answer as suggested in the documentation.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to mark the exam questions that you disagree with. Then take advantage of the comment period at the end of the exam and state your cases why the question(s) are poorly written or the technology does not work.

I always comment on the typos I find in exams. I found typos in the last two exams I have taken (70-480 and 70-486) and commented on them. I also comment when parts of the exams questions do not work. For example, in 70-480, one of the questions offers two radio buttons to choose yes or no but it allowed me to select both and then I couldn't deselect wither of them!

The Microsoft certification team says they read them but I've never seen the problems fixed when retaking an exam several months later.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Assume it does work when you take the exam.

How can functionality that doesn't work outside of the exam suddenly and mysteriously work in the exam? that doesn't make sense!

Turn a blind eye toward "real world" experiences in these types of cases.

Turning a blind eye to functionality that doesn't work isn't the correct solution: fixing the software or removing the question from the exam is.

Be sure to mark the exam questions that you disagree with.

- and what happens if the student concerned did not think to do this at this time but only after she had time to think about it afterwards?

Thank you for your contribution but I feel that it does not really address the problem I have highlighted.

Friday, October 25, 2013 11:53 PM
  • trip_to_tokyo,

The answerers in this forum have not created the exam questions  and  they also cannot change any questions that are currently used on the exams.

If you feel that a question is unclear or wrong use the comment option in the exam (as Davin already explained in his answer).  

Exam questions are always based on theoretical functionality that was available to the team that wrote the exam questions.  Changes in best practices, hotfixes, service packs, R2 etc. released after a  running exam will not be added to an existing exam afterwards until a new exam is released for that product.

Call your regional Microsoft training and certification help center to see if you can register a complaint or to see what the procedure is when you disagree with exam questions.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/help.aspx

Your question is beyond the topics that we can assist with in this forum.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

MCSE:Server Infrastructure, MCSE:Desktop Infrastructure, MCSA Server 2012, Citrix CCIA & CCEE, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 Twitter: @dnyvandam http://www.dannyvandam.net

Monday, October 28, 2013 9:48 AM
  • OK really, when is the last time you nested three functions to produce a static output? The Question states three different loans amounts for customers. Who in their right mind would nest three simple functions to perform this task, a task that does not fulfill the question. Since the three loan amounts are static, which is stupid, al customers will get the same values not different values.

How about this:

function ShowLoanAmount(amtArry)

{

try {

amtArry.sort();

for(int i =0;i<amyArry.length;i++)

{

alert("The loan amount is " + amtArry[i];

}

}catch(e) {//Do something

}

}

JQuery should not be used for simple iterations, or all the other stupid uses they dreamed up.

AttachEvent is a IE only method, not a valid answer!

The PersonImage question does not offer the correct answer. Also the writer of the question clearly does not understand OO concepts and how they applied to javascript.

You can not assign a variable to a function return and use dot notation to access a member of that returned object which is actually the object you want. Don't you think it would produce error, duh.

The way the test question is written this is the best you can do, but all the correct choices are not there. The question is failed. This test was never vetted and seemingly written by a bunch of rookies when it comes to OO, and it's use in javascript.

function PersonImage(imgInfo)

{

this.img = new document.createElement("img");

this.img.alt = imgInfo.description;

this.img.src = imgInfo.fileName;

return this;

}

How about a better way. Since the PersonImage did not contain any Person specific stuff, why written a one use function. And why would Microsoft think it is OK to test on poor coding practices. Maybe even add some error handling, or even testing more on error handling. Don't you folks know over 70% of code written is for error handling, type checking, value checking. Where is all that, I will tell you no where. It like they talked about, but can't back it up with action.

function GenerateImageElement(imgInfo)

{

var img = document.createElement("img);

img.alt = imgInfo.description;

img.src = imgInfo.fileName;

return img;

}

Friday, April 25, 2014 10:38 PM