How do I access the Server desktop from another computer? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure if this is a feature, or I'm just doing something wrong. I'm trying to figure out how to gain control of the Server desktop, either by 'remote access' or a feature I'm not aware of, in order to run maintainence programs, such as defrag. I am able to gain control of other computers on my network through the remote access feature, but the Server isn't listed. I'm trying to avoid hooking up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse just to do maintainence.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 10:40 AM

Answers

• You can only access the console via remote access.  To access the dekstop you need to use Remote Desktop, available via Start > Accessories > Communication tools

or

type: mstsc  in the Run box.

Friday, July 13, 2007 10:47 AM

All replies

• You can only access the console via remote access.  To access the dekstop you need to use Remote Desktop, available via Start > Accessories > Communication tools

or

type: mstsc  in the Run box.

Friday, July 13, 2007 10:47 AM
  • When you downloaded the Windows home server iso. there should have been another iso called connector software cd. Burn this to a cd and run it on the CLIENT computers on the network. It will lets you administer your server.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 2:39 PM
  • I thik the OP wants more control than offered by the console access, i imagine the OP has the connector installed already.

Friday, July 13, 2007 2:42 PM
  • I use Remote Desktop. But the only things you need it for are things like adding a printer or checking temps, voltages, & fan RPM. WHS will take care of the hard drives; I believe the last thing you want to do is run defrag on a WHS system.

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:28 PM
  •  almonde wrote:

You can only access the console via remote access. To access the dekstop you need to use Remote Desktop, available via Start > Accessories > Communication tools

or

type: mstsc in the Run box.

RDP isn't supported for the "home" client OS versions and he may be running one of those.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 6:31 PM
  •  Master of None wrote:

I use Remote Desktop. But the only things you need it for are things like adding a printer or checking temps, voltages, & fan RPM. WHS will take care of the hard drives; I believe the last thing you want to do is run defrag on a WHS system.

Why, then, is a disk defragmenter included in WHS? I'm not saying I disagree with you. Not at all. In fact, I -agree- that the last thing - I - would do would be to kick off the disk defragmenter without doing some investigation into whether -that- task should even be initiated on a WHS box. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this issue can pipe up and explain why/why not?

Lang

Saturday, July 14, 2007 5:27 AM
  • Your statement is correct.  However, the fact that XP Home or Vista Home is being run does not prevent the client from using RDP to get to the home server.

WHS is based on Windows Server 2003.  It supports RDP connection from another PC.  You were obviously confused - the OS of the client doesn't matter as far as Remote Desktop goes.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 1:30 PM
  •  David Platt wrote:

Your statement is correct. However, the fact that XP Home or Vista Home is being run does not prevent the client from using RDP to get to the home server.

WHS is based on Windows Server 2003. It supports RDP connection from another PC. You were obviously confused - the OS of the client doesn't matter as far as Remote Desktop goes.

How is he supposed to RDP to the server, if XP-Home is the client?

Nice try...

Saturday, July 14, 2007 5:28 PM
  • Lang,

There is no reason why you can't use the built-in defrag if you do it via the Administrator/RDC.

There has been mention of defrag operating automatically after the weekly Backup CleanUp on Sundays, but whether that will make it to RTM hasn't surfaced yet.

If you intend using a Third Party utility, the one that someone said worked fine, is Diskeeper Server version.

HTH

Colin

Saturday, July 14, 2007 5:45 PM
  • SME, correct me if I am wrong but......I do belive that the RDP Client can be installed and run by XP Home... but XP Home can´t be conected to via RDP......I am totaly wrong or?

Regards

Akny

Saturday, July 14, 2007 6:27 PM
  •  Akny wrote:

SME, correct me if I am wrong but......I do belive that the RDP Client can be installed and run by XP Home... but XP Home can´t be conected to via RDP......I am totaly wrong or?

Regards

Akny

TBH, I've never ran any of the crippled "home" versions but if it cant accept RDP I don't see why they'd include a client either since they want you to buy the more expensive versions. I prefer RealVNC Enterprise anyway. *shrug*

EDIT:
    Further checking shows that there is a rdp client installer in XP-pro and XP-home install CDs for installing the RDP client to win95/98/me/win2k, etc so the client side must be supported.
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 6:54 PM
  • The Remote Desktop in Communications Tools did the trick. Thanks! My main intention for figuring out how to access it this way was to have the ability to do so, if needed. You'd think they would have provided a more direct route to do this. I'm no newbie, having built all my home systems myself, but I've never had the occasion to use Remote Desktop, except for the version in MSN Messenger.

As far as defragging goes, I hope it doesn't do any harm, since I already used it. I assumed the same; why include it if you shouldn't use it. All I know is that the fresh install, with 4 backed up computers, was seriously fragmented. Guess I'll find out if it mucked something up when I need it.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:51 AM
  • Remote Desktop Client is in all versions of XP / Vista, but the Server components are only in XP Pro, Vista Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:57 AM