This computer cannot connect to your home server. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Home Server with four machines as clients. Three of them work perfectly, but one (mine, of course) gives the following error when I try to connect to the console:

This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.

I can still connect to the shares, and backups continue, I just can't get to the console. Also, I never get notified of any critical issues, the icon always remains green. I can fix it by reinstalling the connector software, and it will stay fixed for a while. It seems to me that each time I reboot, I lose connection again, but I usually only reboot after patch Tuesday, so there may be a connection there as well. Anyone ever seen this, or have any idea how to fix it?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:16 PM

All replies

• I have a Home Server with four machines as clients. Three of them work perfectly, but one (mine, of course) gives the following error when I try to connect to the console:

This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.

I can still connect to the shares, and backups continue, I just can't get to the console. Also, I never get notified of any critical issues, the icon always remains green. I can fix it by reinstalling the connector software, and it will stay fixed for a while. It seems to me that each time I reboot, I lose connection again, but I usually only reboot after patch Tuesday, so there may be a connection there as well. Anyone ever seen this, or have any idea how to fix it?

First thing I would suggest is to reboot more often as a test (i.e. get it to work, then immediately reboot and check it again right afterwards).

Can you successfully ping your server from that client, both by name and by IP address?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:47 AM