Why is my floppy drive being scanned? RRS feed

• Question

• Every time explorer sees it and sometimes on its own, the system appears to scan it. It may perhaps be also scanning the system bus, I can't say. The floppy makes its less than pleasant noice regardless when awakened. Any ideas, ye obewon?

It's behaving like an anti-virus setting.

Regards, Kevin

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:29 PM

Answers

• OneCare or the Windows Defender components of OneCare anyway.  That noise has been reported when using Windows Defender since it was in Beta and long before it got incorporated into subscription OneCare.  I've experienced it myself for the short time that I had a floppy attached during a drive swap.  If you seldom use your floppy the smoothest solution is to remove it from your BIOS.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 11:10 PM

All replies

• You can leave a blank floppy in the drive, and the noise won't be as obnoxious.  Another solution is to remove the floppy from your BIOS until you need it again...

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:49 PM
  • Dave -

Is this you way of saying that it is OneCare that's doing it?

R/

Kevin

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 10:55 PM
  • OneCare or the Windows Defender components of OneCare anyway.  That noise has been reported when using Windows Defender since it was in Beta and long before it got incorporated into subscription OneCare.  I've experienced it myself for the short time that I had a floppy attached during a drive swap.  If you seldom use your floppy the smoothest solution is to remove it from your BIOS.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 11:10 PM
  • Thanks for the rappid response Dave. I had not considered Defender. You rock!

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:29 AM