Choosing Sync Framework is the right decision RRS feed

• Question

• My requirement is to create the offline application which will be similar to the existing online application. Assume like a TV engineer going to customer place to service the customer request. Once complete the request the engineer need to fill up the data in an application. currently it will happen once the engineer come back to office and fill it up. But now the requirement is to create the offline application which will ease the engineer job to complete the service data entry in customer place and once back to office to sync up the local data with corporate data.

For this, before going to customer place the engineer to download the data about that particular request. So the data flow between engineer client & server machine is going to be minimal (say max of 50 to 100 records). Can i take the sync framework to do this synchronization. using Sync framework is the right choice? Or any other alternatives?

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, you can use Sync framework for given scenaro. There is a CTP release of Sync framework 4.0 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=afd89099-d589-423c-9762-78096aa95ac2) which also includes samples and tutorials.

Thanks,
    Ramesh V

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Thanks Ramesh. we cant suggest CTP release in production environment. So we planned to use v2.1.

Need one more info.

During sync setup, i can select the tables i want to synchronize. But currently my existing application uses sp_addlinkedserver to access the data from remote centralized server(which is shared server and its only possible to get the data via linkedserver concept).

When we plan to go for offline setup, how we can get the data from remote server? Is there any way i can setup my sync setup by connecting to Stored procedure instead of tables. Any samples or any alternatives?

or in other way,

How can i configure my synchronization to get the data via SQL Stored procedure (which inturn get the data from Linked server)? Its only required to download the data from remote server and there will not be any update/insert/delete in remote server.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:21 AM
  • if you use the Local Database Cache wizard, you can modify the generated code's SQL commands to call a stored procedure instead.

or you can follow the steps in the docs' How to: Use a Custom Change Tracking System to see how and where to place the specific SQL commands.

Friday, November 26, 2010 6:25 AM