Provider Registry Service doesn't start (solved) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi everyone!

After uninstalling AD Certificate Services because I had to change the Workgroup i got Event ID 7034: Provider Registry Service unexpected shutdown. (I also had Timeouts but setting the Regitry Value to 50000 ms didn't solve it)

net start just gave the unexpected shutdown but starting the .exe from cmd gave the hint: No proper certificate on the machine. ;-)

C:\Users\Administrator>net start ServiceProviderRegistry
    Dienstanbieterregistrierung von Windows Server wird gestartet.
    Dienstanbieterregistrierung von Windows Server konnte nicht gestartet werden.

Ein Systemfehler ist aufgetreten.

Systemfehler 1067 aufgetreten.

Der Prozess wurde unerwartet beendet.

C:\Users\Administrator>"C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\ProviderRegistryServ
    ice
    This is a server, so our server registry is the local one.
    Finished Provider Registry Service Initialization

Unbehandelte Ausnahme: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework
    .ProviderException: Failed to configure the ServiceHost (see inner exception). -
    --> Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Certificates.CertificatesException: Unable
    to find valid machine certificate on local store.
       bei Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ProductConfigur
    ator._ConfigureServiceHost(ServiceHost serviceHost)
    ator.ConfigureServiceHost(ServiceHost serviceHost)
       --- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung ---
    ator.ConfigureServiceHost(ServiceHost serviceHost)
       bei Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ProviderRegistr
    y.Program.Main(String[] args)

While I was already typing this to get some helping hand  I uninstalled the AD Certificate Role again and reinstalled following the steps here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2578298

This time I chose the original Certificate as described and the Server is working again. ;-)

Finding this solution took me several hours, Google gave no really useful results, so I just thought, I'd post it for others benefit.

Yours,

Olaf

• Changed type Ken Warren Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:37 PM not a question
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:19 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure why you felt you needed to change the workgroup; it doesn't affect anything substantial about server operation: shares, backups, remote access all work no matter the workgroup...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:37 PM