Understanding CRM Licences before I go hunting to buy CRM RRS feed

• Question

• I have been asked to look into CRM Licences for an On-premise deployment; The deployment will be based on:

Windows Server 2012 R2
    SQL Server 2008R2 Enterprise
    CRM Server Standard 
    140 Users

I am wondering how the licence structure works here. Do I purchase a single licence for: Windows Server 2012, SQL Server 2008, CRM standard, then purchase individual CRM licences for each use (140)?

Also, does a deactivated user require a licence? In the CRM system we have, we are currently deleting users and not deactivating them because we were told that disabled users also require a licence. Is this true?

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 10:46 AM

All replies

• So you will need a CRM server license for the instance of CRM you put on the Windows server. (and the SQL license as you mentioned)  Then you will need a user license for each ACTIVE CRM user.  As such, disabled users do not take up licenses.  This also means licenses are transferable between users, so on user leaves and another gets added, you can just use the existing license for the new user.

Dynamics CRM also does not allow you do delete users.  Because record histories are tied to those user accounts, deactivated users must stay in the system in perpetuity. Which, considering they don't take up a license, should be just fine for you.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Proposed as answer by Wayne Walton Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:35 PM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:35 PM
  • What happens to the associated records when I deactivate a user? Do they also get deactivated?
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:47 PM
  • Deactivating a user does not affect any records they own. They will not get deactivated

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/ http://www.excitation.co.uk

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 3:06 PM
  • David is correct.  However, there is a bulk-reassign option that allows you to hand an old user's stuff to a new user.  It's a great way to prevent active items (like opportunities and cases) from slipping through the cracks.

This won't alter old records, like completed activities, but it will update all current, active records.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 4:06 PM