Is It Possible to Access WHS Without Connector Installed or Usernames Not Matching? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to access WHS from a PC without connector installed and logged in with a username and password that is doen't match WHS. 

What I'm hoping for is that I'll be prompted for credentials and log on with a registered username/password to access shared folders. 

I'm only able to access the WHS as a guest and I'm not prompted to enter credentials.  This gives me access to folders with guest permissions, and when the guest account is disabled I'm prompeted for credentials.  However, I want to be able to access WHS as a guest and be prompted for credentials instead of only access denial when trying to access a folder requiring permissions.  Any suggestions?

Saturday, January 29, 2011 12:03 AM

All replies

• Why niot install the connector, or alternatively create a "visitor" account which matches an account on the PC?
    Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:24 AM
  • Because I don't want to install connector on guest PCs, but would like to be able to access my files on their computer.  I would like for visiting family to be able to log in as a guest to see guest-enabled shared folders, but if there were other files in folders that were not guest enabled, I would like to be able to access them with my credentials to download directly without having to install connector on their PC.

I thought about creating individual accounts, but there's only a 10 account limit, plus i don't want to be network administering while I have guests over.

Right now, I can either have guest enabled and no credential prompt, or disable guest and get a credential prompt.  I'd like to have both.

Thanks!

Monday, January 31, 2011 6:56 PM
  • On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 00:03:27 +0000, michaelij wrote:

I'm trying to access WHS from a PC without connector installed and logged in with a username and password that is doen't match WHS. 

What I'm hoping for is that I'll be prompted for credentials and log on with a registered username/password to access shared folders. 

I'm only able to access the WHS as a guest and I'm not prompted to enter credentials.  This gives me access to folders with guest permissions, and when the guest account is disabled I'm prompeted for credentials.  However, I want to be able to access WHS as a guest and be prompted for credentials instead of only access denial when trying to access a folder requiring permissions.  Any suggestions?

I know it's possible to expose WHS devices to the Web, and then access them with a web
    browser. I assume it's possible to use a web browser within a LAN, but don't know details.

Monday, January 31, 2011 10:37 PM
  • On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 00:03:27 +0000, michaelij wrote:

I'm trying to access WHS from a PC without connector installed and logged in with a username and password that is doen't match WHS. 

I know it's possible to expose WHS devices to the Web, and then access them with a web
    browser. I assume it's possible to use a web browser within a LAN, but don't know details.

I had thought of accessing through a web browser, but I've got 2 reasons for not using that work-around, the web interface isn't as convenient or as fast as a network connection and I've had to transfer multiple gigs of pics (I've got a high resolution camera) and web browser takes forever.  And I've been having port forwarding issues with my router (different topic) that I still have to trouble shoot or buy a new router.

Either transferring via a browser or external HDD both work, just not as preferred as I'd like.  Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 5:34 PM
  • On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:34:27 +0000, michaelij wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 00:03:27 +0000, michaelij wrote:

I had thought of accessing through a web browser, but I've got 2 reasons for not using that work-around, the web interface isn't as convenient or as fast as a network connection and I've had to transfer multiple gigs of pics (I've got a high resolution camera) and web browser takes forever.  And I've been having port forwarding issues with my router (different topic) that I still have to trouble shoot or buy a new router.

I installed FileZilla FTP server on my WHS machine, and use a FileZilla client on my
    laptop.

Either transferring via a browser or external HDD both work, just not as preferred as I'd like.  Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 8:33 PM