none
Google API Client to authenticate end user on a custom server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a login server which acts as a gateway for end users. The idea is I want to have the login server communicate with Google to confirm the identification of a user. Then, the login server will communicate to my main server to allow access to a protected resource (for example in-game details in my database). Most of the posts and guides I have read involve web applications to do this, but my servers are just console projects connected through sockets. Is what I want to do possible without a web server? If not, could someone suggest the steps on how to set up such a system?
    Saturday, September 30, 2017 7:12 PM

All replies

• I don't think it's possible. How would you manage to login using Google oAuth without using a browser? 
    Saturday, September 30, 2017 7:42 PM
  • I don't think it's possible. How would you manage to login using Google oAuth without using a browser? 

Sorry, my question is probably not phrased very well. Its not that I'm not using a browser. I've seen examples where applications open a browser to allow the user to confirm access. My main concern is how can I use this system to authenticate on my own server. So after Google has confirmed the user's identity, what information do I need to tell the main server that they can now access my database?

1. User ---> Login Server (User requests access under a certain username)

2. Login Server ---> Google (Login server "talks" to Google saying we need access to a specific identity)

3. Google ---> User (Google asks the user if they want to grant access to their info)

4. User ---> Login Server (User confirms and responds to the login server)

5. Login Server ---> Main Server (Login server tells main server this client is able to access the resource)

6. Login Server ---> User (Login server tells user the main server is waiting for them)

7. User ---> Main Server (Complete!)

I hope I got this flow right. If it is right, I have no idea how to implement it in c#. Especially steps 1 to 4.

• Edited by jyumai Saturday, September 30, 2017 7:58 PM
    Saturday, September 30, 2017 7:57 PM
  • Hi jyumai,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question is more related to Google API, you could post a new thread in Google forum.

https://developers.google.com/products/develop/

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 7:36 AM