Is CRM 4.0 Trial upgradable to full version without reintallation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I've got simple question.

I've got a link on CRM 4.0 90-day Trial Versions Download

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=a9c110fd-aac8-4d2a-b401-7801b1866e82

In overview:

Each trial version can be converted to full use by applying a commercial license key in the License area of Microsoft Dynamics CRM Deployment Manager. Reinstallation is not required.

Then, in "Improtaint" sectrion:

MICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM 4.0 TRIAL OR TIME-LIMITED VERSIONS CANNOT BE UPGRADED OR CONVERTED TO MSDN OR BUSINESS-READY LICENSING (BRL - DYNAMICS PRICE LIST) LICENSES BY APPLYING A COMMERCIAL LICENSE KEY. Customers or Partners who begin with the TRIAL version of Microsoft Dynamics CRM and wish to upgrade the TRIAL to either a MDSN or BRL license, will need to perform a new install using the MSDN download or PartnerSource product downloads (respectively), and import their original Organization; OR, must begin their implementation directly with either the MSDN or BRL non-time limited/production versions.

then:

To use the 90-day trial, you must apply one of the convertible trial keys available here. To receive the trial software, download it from this page or reuse Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 media by using one of the following trial keys:

• Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Workgroup
      Trial key (5 CAL limit):
      V8QCJ-74RXV-FF27W-TY3V2-92MJY
    • Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Professional
      Trial key (no CAL limit):
      P6MYC-RPKCC-QWWCM-6MTJ3-RT3DY
    • Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Enterprise
      Trial key (no CAL limit):
      QCKXD-BDH8R-G74H8-RDYHX-R4K4T

So the question: what Download Version and PRODUCT KEY should i use to get trial version that will be upgradable for full lately. I'm just confused with the phrase: MICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM 4.0 TRIAL OR TIME-LIMITED VERSIONS CANNOT BE UPGRADED OR CONVERTED TO MSDN OR BUSINESS-READY LICENSING (BRL - DYNAMICS PRICE LIST) LICENSES BY APPLYING A COMMERCIAL LICENSE KEY.

thanx.

Monday, July 26, 2010 7:34 PM

Answers

• Yes - with one bit caveat.  The version that you purchase has to be the same or higher then the trial in order to swap the license keys.  If you install professional trial, then you can upgrade to professional full version or enterprise. 

If you install professional trial, then purchase work group cals, it will not work.

This is the case with the above trail keys.  If you use msdn keys, then upgrade may not work well.

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    • Marked as answer by prinzc Monday, July 26, 2010 10:06 PM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 8:14 PM
  • I just upgraded from the workgroup 4.0 trial to the workgroup 4.0 paid version. Follow these steps:

- Download the software from the volume license cenrer

- Unpack the ISO file and brows for the directory Server, you find a license file with the license number

- On the server start the deployment manager(!) and enter the license number

- Now run the registration wizard

I had to run 'Microsoft.Crm.Tools.WRPCKeyRenewal.exe /R' from the tools directory before CRM worked. Probably because the trial had expired quite some time ago.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:51 PM

All replies

• Yes - with one bit caveat.  The version that you purchase has to be the same or higher then the trial in order to swap the license keys.  If you install professional trial, then you can upgrade to professional full version or enterprise. 

If you install professional trial, then purchase work group cals, it will not work.

This is the case with the above trail keys.  If you use msdn keys, then upgrade may not work well.

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    • Marked as answer by prinzc Monday, July 26, 2010 10:06 PM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 8:14 PM
  • ok, thanks. I hope all be working fine when the license comes =)
    Monday, July 26, 2010 10:06 PM
  • I just upgraded from the workgroup 4.0 trial to the workgroup 4.0 paid version. Follow these steps:

- Download the software from the volume license cenrer

- Unpack the ISO file and brows for the directory Server, you find a license file with the license number

- On the server start the deployment manager(!) and enter the license number

- Now run the registration wizard

I had to run 'Microsoft.Crm.Tools.WRPCKeyRenewal.exe /R' from the tools directory before CRM worked. Probably because the trial had expired quite some time ago.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:51 PM