Backlinks, redirect 301 for www. and non .www RRS feed

• Question

•  

I find the back links tool very confusing. It should be able to give you just the top domain of each website that links inn to my website.

I have a lot of websites that links from every site (wide linking)

Give it an option like “show only top domain”

That will only list each website once, and you will at least get 1000 unique websites in the result.
    I know that would not give me the placement of the link, but to be honest, I don’t care about that…

It should also be a possibility to set the preferred url (www.  and non .www) There are plenty of us that are using ASP.NET based on a IIS Windows server that don’t support the redirect 301 by the webhost.

Regarding the forum

Why don’t you give the users that really gives an effort to help other a bonus?

What about give hem the opportunity to have a url attached to the signature after they have given 10-20 good answers! That will inspire people with knowledge to stay in the forum.

You have to give some to get some!!

Best regards

Energy

Friday, August 22, 2008 11:07 AM

Answers

• @Energy, thanks for your feedback and your contributions to the forum.

Your feedback about backlinks is well taken, we know there is a lot more that we could do here, and we will continue to try and make some of these improvements (though they will take a while).

www vs non-www, this tool should not be necessary for live search, as we already assume they are the same by default anyways, thus eliminating many potential canonicalization issues.

thanks!
    nate
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 10:36 PM

All replies

• @Energy, thanks for your feedback and your contributions to the forum.

Your feedback about backlinks is well taken, we know there is a lot more that we could do here, and we will continue to try and make some of these improvements (though they will take a while).

www vs non-www, this tool should not be necessary for live search, as we already assume they are the same by default anyways, thus eliminating many potential canonicalization issues.

thanks!
    nate
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 10:36 PM
  • Hi Nate

How can you say that the .www non-.www is not an issue.
    If that was not an issue, why does many of the top back links to my website come from my own website?

My website has about 141 pages, but still it reports that I have about 1200?

As I mentioned, it’s hard for us that has a web host that don’t support an 301 redirect for ASP.NET on a Windows server…

ahhh.. s*hit, you dont support images here..

Best regards

Energy

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:16 PM
  •  

You probably already know this, but there is a download link that will pull down the backlinks in a .csv format, and then you are free to manipulate the data yourself.

If you don't happen to have excel, you could either download openoffice, or even upload the .csv file into the Google Docs online spreadsheet tool.  Both are free.

My big complaint about this feature is that it only downloads 1000 of the links, regardless of how many there are.  Argh !

==

Money-saving-tips

Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:25 PM