none
fake windows xp

All replies

•  On 7/1/2010 3:45 PM, Sandra43 wrote:

if you're using a fake copy of windows xp, can you do an upgrade to windows 7?

No.  Not so much because you're using an unlicensed copy (although that's an issue in itself) but because Windows XP can't upgrade directly to Windows 7.  It will do a clean installation of Windows 7.

On another level, you probably don't want to ask this question here (not only because this forum is for Windows Live Writer-- not Windows), but because this is a Microsoft monitored forum (as all of the forums on social.answers.MICROSOFT.com and social.*.MICROSOFT.com are).

As for whether it will follow the same upgrade/installation path as a legitimate copy of Windows XP, that answer is "Yes".  You'll still have to use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard (migwiz.exe) to preserve your data, and you'll still have to reinstall everything.

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Thursday, July 01, 2010 9:45 PM
  • Thanks,   ( Microsoft monitored forum (as all of the forums on social.answers.MICROSOFT.com and social.*.MICROSOFT.com are).

not my computer that has the fake windows, a friend, and to top it off, it wasn't their fault. they bought it like that. .

Sunday, July 04, 2010 5:43 PM
  •  On 7/4/2010 12:43 PM, Sandra43 wrote:

Thanks,   ( Microsoft monitored forum (as all of the forums on social.answers.MICROSOFT.com and social.*.MICROSOFT.com are).

not my computer that has the fake windows, a friend, and to top it off, it wasn't their fault. they bought it like that. .

Well as long as they buy a legit copy of Windows 7, they shouldn't have any issues.  If they are concerned about the fake Windows XP though, they should go through the "Get Genuine" links and report whoever they bought it from.  IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Sunday, July 04, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Just keep in mind to copy to a flash drive the contents of c:\Documents and Settings\[the users account name]\ so they can take their settings and such with them. In fact, I think there is a tool to migrate this stuff for you if you search bing for it.
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:22 AM
  • thanks all is well, they installed a legit copy of windows 7
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 5:31 AM
  • thanks
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 5:31 AM